Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First hand plane

First hand plane

Just wanted to share with you guys this. A few years back my grandfather passed away and left a shop full of tools to me. Him and my grandmother would go garage sale picking every weekend. His shop looked like a place off the show Hoarders. Finally after a year or so my grandmother decided she was ready to slowly start cleaning out his shop. I got in there and was immediately overwhelmed. But through all the picking I came across this rusted Millers Falls No. 9-02 plane. I decided that I would try to restore it. At that point my woodworking journey was just beginning and I hadn't a single clue on how to go about restoring it. Well nearly a year later of it sitting around I finally got the chance and knowledge to get it working again. It's not a terribly old plane, but its still a plane my grandfather used and now it's my first plane and one I will keep.

On a side note I love my power tools, but this hand tool thing is already addicting. I can see a few more restored planes of my grandfathers in my shop very soon.

IMG_1959.jpg

One of my first planes was an old Stanley No. 3 that belonged to my grandfather. It is no showpiece, but it is always a pleasure to use it. I am sure your grandfather would be pleased to know his tools are being used.

This hand tool thing is very addicting. Maybe next we will see you make a post about making a traditional bench. Welcome to the hand tool world! I have slowly stopped using power tools, unless I'm breaking down big stock. There's a feeling of accomplishing more when I use hand tools.

Michael, Sounds like a great start to a great journey. Back to Grandpa's shop you go...

Fasten your seatbelt. You have now entered the Slippery Slope.

My first plane was also my granddad's, it's a Dunlap No.4. Good luck with your journey, you're not alone.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    My first plane was also my granddad's, it's a Dunlap No.4. Good luck with your journey, you're not alone.

My first plane was ALSO Granddad's (then Dad's) Dunlop #4. I still recall how devastated I was to fing out it was so common & badly made. I still have it though, of course!

You did a great job on the restoration. I love the tools I have with family history. You'll get a lot of enjoyment from your Grandfather's tools.

Millers Falls in a No. 4 (Stanley size) that they made from 1969 to 1971. Still a very good smooth plane. Nice find.

A vintage tool has more meaning when it has been owned/used by a family member a few generations back....
    Jerry

My favorite plane is a Stanley #5 that was my fathers. It has chip missing in the tote and tons of scratches on the sole and cheeks. It probably wouldn't fetch more than $2 on an auction site but to me its the most valuable and used tool in my shop.

Is it just me or are woodworkers more sentimental than most people?

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    My first plane was ALSO Granddad's (then Dad's) Dunlop #4. I still recall how devastated I was to fing out it was so common & badly made. I still have it though, of course!
    My first two planes were my Dad's. But my second two were my Granddad's. Somewhere along the line, my Grandma gave me a #2 that had belonged to my great-Granddad. I love these tools that not only have history, but family history.

I got an MF #9 that belonged to my grandfather. Like you, it was the first plane I restored. She's a beauty and takes nice thin shavings (0.002" thick - thin enough for my needs).

Yes, it's addicting. As you learn more and more what you can do with a plane, you'll be hooked too. You'll see.

Btw, I started out a power tool guy.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brian AdamsMS View Post
    Is it just me or are woodworkers more sentimental than most people?
    It isn't just you Brian. That's for sure!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Do not get it wet. And do not feed it after midnight.

Planes tend to multiply.