Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brad point drill bits

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    I have the same Lee Valley kit and love it. You wont be disappointed.
    Looking forward to trying them out.

Last edited by Rob Luter; 01-10-2018 at 3:59 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

no issues with Lee Valley they have worked well, have a few others brands as well. Before that always just ground my own from a regular drill noy and still do from to time time, on a good day they are excellent.

yeah Rod its a weird world but for 100 other reasons

Bosch brad point drill bits - probably not the best of the world but very good quality and you do not sell a kidney to purchase them. I bought mine from either Germany or Brazil (all of them metric but they offer also SAE)... I believe they are made in Swiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I like to think things through. How to explain a $200 box of drills to my bride was one of those things I needed to think through.
    I've heard that a number of times and always wondered if it is humor or serious. Does your wife really know or care if you buy drills?

Norseman makes brad points, just not large sets. High quality and made in USA.

https://www.holbren.com/bradpoint-drill-bits/

FWIW the Lee Valley set uses US made bits. (LINK) I cant remember which company makes them, but its a common/popular brand.

Starting with a top-of-the-line American-made twist drill, we reshape and sharpen the tips on a state-of-the-art Swiss CNC grinder. Made from high-speed steel, the bits are not subject to burning, and stay sharp about 10 times as long as carbon steel bits.
    The polished flutes give superior chip clearance, and the sharply defined lips have a slight negative rake angle on the lip tips to score the hole perimeter for clean entry and smooth sidewalls. Equally important, these bits are extremely accurate in diameter.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I've heard that a number of times and always wondered if it is humor or serious. Does your wife really know or care if you buy drills?
    Nope. Just kidding. She knows. She doesn’t care.

I tried a 3/8 when I got home. I sunk a hole in a maple plank I use for drill press backup. The hole was crisp and the sides were very smooth. It measured .378”. I can live with .003 oversize.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I bought a set from Norseman. Here's a link to someone who sells what I bought. Good drills.

Mike
    I love my Norseman bits too. But as was said earlier, mine are not for wood, they aren't brad point. But they are great bits (as have been the individual Fuller bits that I've purchased.)
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I tried a 3/8 when I got home. I sunk a hole in a maple plank I use for drill press backup. The hole was crisp and the sides were very smooth. It measured .378”. I can live with .003 oversize.
    If you drilled it hand-held, that could account for the slight oversize. But yea, I wouldn't worry too much about .003"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    A couple points:

- WL Fuller makes fabulous bits. They don't make lower end bits but do provide some drills made by others IF they meet their standards.
    I'll also vouch for WL Fuller brad point bits. I've been using a full set of their bits for years and have a lot of good things to say about them...

TedP

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    I'll also vouch for WL Fuller brad point bits. I've been using a full set of their bits for years and have a lot of good things to say about them...

TedP
    It has been suggested that the LV bits are Fullers that have had a secondary grinding operation.

It has been suggested that the LV bits are Fullers that have had a secondary grinding operation.
    LV Brad Points have the brad points on twist drills provided by the same company that sells twist drills under the brand name Triumph.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gumpper View Post
    Norseman makes brad points, just not large sets. High quality and made in USA.

https://www.holbren.com/bradpoint-drill-bits/
    THANKS for posting this.

NOT in the catalog I keep that is a year or two old. They are in the new catalog so must be a recent addition. Don't have a full set of sizes. A set to 1/2" is only 14 sizes. Larger sizes not in 1/64" steps, not even in 1/32" steps. However these appear to be made on their Super Premium blanks, which probably means they are better material that all the other brad points mentioned. Of course, they will be a bit harder to sharpen. BUT at the price and if they stay sharp long enough, these could be incredibly good.

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Wl FUller.
    Have lengths, diameters that are unprecedented in the industry.
    (Number, wire, fractional, metric etc.)
    Yep Fuller, I have a set that goes from 1/16" to 1/2" by 1/64th increments. Fantastic other than breaking the 1/16". Amazon has them, made in the USA.