Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsolicited advice question

Unsolicited advice question

I also do Facebook… When a “friend” shares someone else’s post I see them. An acquaintance of one of my friends just posted pictures of his almost completed deck project. I am guessing 1,000’s of dollars worth of lumber and much time. This acquaintance, in a rural suburb, has little experience in construction and probably did not pull permits - he may not have needed them.
    In any event, I noticed several code violations in its construction. One of these was the attachment method of his beams to his posts; bolts only are no longer allowed. And his method of hanging his joists; no joist hangers, he toenailed from the inside and face nailed from the outside of the rim joists. He does have an interior beam (still bolts only), so the joists do not depend solely on the nails.

Do I contact this guy I have never met and tell him, tell my friend and leave it up to him, stay out of other people’s business?
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 09-06-2016 at 9:33 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I'd bite my tongue and mind my own business. I feel confident the guy is not going to go and rebuild his deck because of unsolicited advice from someone he doesn't know. Unsolicited advice is almost never welcome. (And I'm only giving this advice because you asked )

Stay out of it. He's probably not very concerned about code violations.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Blog Entries
    I will echo what others have said. A person doing this sort of work is probably not really interested or worse yet, thinks he is doing it right and offers his services to others.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm going to take a slightly different approach and go for option B. I wouldn't offer any advice to the friend of a friend directly, but you might want to mention to your friend that there are some structural issues and code violations that you've noticed.

If your friend then wants to mention it to his friend that "A buddy of mine who knows about this stuff saw your pictures and is worried that your deck might fall down", it might be better received than some stranger offering advice out of the blue.

Your friend may choose not to pass along the info, and if he does his friend probably won't do anything about it, but at least you'll have done your part.
    ~Garth

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Almgren View Post
    I'm going to take a slightly different approach and go for option B. I wouldn't offer any advice to the friend of a friend directly, but you might want to mention to your friend that there are some structural issues and code violations that you've noticed.

If your friend then wants to mention it to his friend that "A buddy of mine who knows about this stuff saw your pictures and is worried that your deck might fall down", it might be better received than some stranger offering advice out of the blue.

Your friend may choose not to pass along the info, and if he does his friend probably won't do anything about it, but at least you'll have done your part.
    +1 to this.

Tongue is delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Almgren View Post

I would go this route without hesitation.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I'm shocked at the consensus here!

I think the bigger disservice is letting someone do something wrong when you know better just because they are a stranger. It's internet "What Would You Do?" [queue John Quinones]

If *my* deck was in violation, I'd want to know. I may feel embarrassed or mad or disappointed, but at least I'd know. You're not telling him to change it; you're not reporting him. You're advising him. Doing it in a trolly, disparaging way is of course wrong. But doing it in the spirit of - er- "constructive" construction, is right and proper and is what Social Media should aspire to.

I would private message him and tell him politely, and go one step further: offer him to contact you if he wants you to elaborate. Reaching a virtual hand out in help is noble.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-06-2016 at 2:39 PM.

OK, so you feel the need to be all high and mighty. Let's change the medium a bit. Same guy sends out pictures of the speedometer of his car, obviously speeding, flying through a school zone. What do you do? Somebody could get hurt there, as well. Let's try another one. Same guy, standing in front of his obviously distraught child, only with a belt in his hand. What do you do? This is why Fakebook is a disaster to modern society. Mind your own business. Better yet, don't look for advice here if you're not prepared for the results.

I suppose you could actually report this to the city building inspector. I don't know if they give out medals for this sort of thing though.

So in your opinion, is it structurally unsound (dangerous to use as is) or just not code compliant? Most of the houses that we all live in are not compliant with todays code, but they are not dangerous. If in fact you believe that it is dangerous as built, and you have professional credentials that allow you to make that distinction, then you should tactfully convey the message. If it just doesn't meet the state of the art then let it go.

If you feel the need to point out something like that, do it privately through messenger, rather than calling them out publicly in the thread. And never about aesthetics...that's subjective. A true safety issue is objective, but try to be very careful in how things are worded, too. And be prepared to be rebuffed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't feel the need to be high and mighty about everything. We can easily play 'what if?' and find a close but not exact analogy to this situation where'd I'd be better served keeping my superior mouth shut.

In this instance, the OP has potential safety knowledge that the Facebook poster may not. I should not have been general about my disdain for this response.

15. is the OP concerned that the deck is structurally unsound, or just not built to code? Decks have been built in the manner he mentioned for years.

Is the OP in a position where he has a "duty to inform" someone of a potentially unsafe condition?

Is the OP familiar with local code requirements?

"not up to code" does not necessarily mean the deck is dangerous.

If, for example, it was a DIY electrical job, and there was a picture of a code violation that was also potential for injury or property damage - I would say that is a clear example of when "unsolicited advice" should be given.