Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench Design Ideas For Processing Logs Into Turning Blanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Garafalo View Post
    Pete, it looks like the base frame is adjustable and factory built. If so, what is it and who made it?
    Looks like it's recycled Workmate

That's a "WorkMate", and I think they're by either B&D or Craftsman. There are four legs on the bottom of it that are folded under in the photo. The legs make it able to be used at two different heights -- as shown in the photo and about six inches higher with the legs folded out.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Sorry Dom. The others are correct. I simply screw a couple of waste pieces of 4x4 to the top of an old Black and Decker Workmate. These is still metal available to my chain saw but have been using this set up for about ten years and haven't hit any yet. And yes it has four legs folded under that would allow it to be raised about another 12inches but fir me this height works best. Sorry I didn't add this information before, for some reason I thought that everyone would recognize the Workmate😳
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    I've been needing to build something myself. Figured holding pieces with my foot wasn't a good idea so I go a big bandsaw, but I still need a way to make the chunks small enough to process on the saw.

Hopefully Reed will post up the video of his contraption. It is a beautiful machine and a fine piece of engineering!
    Here's the link for Reed's Chainsaw Chopsaw, super-cool, super-saw-buck.

Thanks Robert, Walter and Pete for identifying the Workmate. I never had one so I didn't recognize it. It's something I should also consider.

Just found this one on AAW site. Looks like it could be made with wood but would need some engineering!
    I can't figure out how to post a photo from this iPad so if you are interested search
    Shark jaws AAW you should find it
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Uploading photo from iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Just found this one on AAW site. Looks like it could be made with wood but would need some engineering!
    I can't figure out how to post a photo from this iPad so if you are interested search
    Shark jaws AAW you should find it
    Peter, I thought I used a pic from an iPad before so I tried it again for a test. With the picture in the iPad camera roll I touched the normal photo attachment icon in the message dialog, touched the Choose File button on the From Computer tab, then picked Choose Existing from the iPad menu that came up.

This didn't put insert the photo thumbnail in-line as it does from my laptop but shows it in the Attached Thumbnails section.

If it works, my test image is of Elm engrain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Here's what I use
    Attachment 343282
    For ripping lengthwise, I have a piece of plywood, with two 2x4's glued in the same configuration.
    Roll a large log on using a Cant hook, then cut it with a saw.

that keeps it from rolling away as you cut, but has very little angle so the log opens up and doesn't pinch (as Leo described).
    Olaf

Peter, that is exactly what I use. The B&D Workmate is perfect for this kind of work. If you are ripping logs, they remain steady and at the last inch or so, you can close the jaws to prevent pinching, then finish the cut with the pieces falling to each side. Can't imagine a better way to do it............other than Reed's bench.

I use short lengths of landscape timbers. I drill holes in the ends sized to accept pieces of 1/2" pvc pipe. I then stack them up log cabin style. I use 10 or 12 pieces. I have no worries about cutting into the timbers and there is no metal to damage my saw chain. It's easily broken down when not in use.
    Joe