Thread: Platina Shellac - Excellent quality & good price.

Platina Shellac - Excellent quality & good price.

For those of you who still appreciate the real thing, and not that pre-made stuff in a can.

True platina is a little hard to find. I just tried some that not only turns out to be excellent quality, but has an extremely nice price as well. It's the “Wellermart” brand, via Amazon.com. $28 / 1 lb

https://www.amazon.com/Dewaxed-Plati.../dp/B012AEO32E

It's not the palest ever, but it's the palest I've seen in quite a few years. Definitely a hair lighter than the super blondes I've been buying elsewhere. The flakes are very small & thin, so it dissolves completely in only a few hours. (In grain alcohol, at least) Seems to have a very low wax content, and it hardens extremely fast.

What's not to love?

Thanks Allen. In your experience how critical is the type of alcohol used to dissolve the shellac flakes. I have tried both the expensive low H2O brands and the run of the mill off the shelf brands at the big box stores and haven't detected any difference. Do you think I am being penny wise but pound foolish using the less expensive alcohol?
    That which was given to me, I pass on to you.

thx. just bought some.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey hogue View Post
    Thanks Allen. In your experience how critical is the type of alcohol used to dissolve the shellac flakes. I have tried both the expensive low H2O brands and the run of the mill off the shelf brands at the big box stores and haven't detected any difference. Do you think I am being penny wise but pound foolish using the less expensive alcohol?

I haven't done any careful tests, but these days I only use Graves 200 proof grain alcohol, and it definitely seems to dissolve a little faster than DNA.

I think it also gives a tad more working time, but I could be imagining that.

The main thing is, it's completely safe to breath.

The biggest problem is trying to avoid the old "one for the flakes... one for me... one for the flakes... TWO for me...."

The other thing about alcohol, no matter what you buy, is trying to keep it as free of water as possible. Moisture is the enemy with shellac, both in the alcohol and in the flakes. (Dry flakes will literally last forever.) Water causes it to dry more slowly, and supposedly can even make it slightly cloudy.

Alcohol sucks moisture out of the air. So, whatever you buy, I recommend that you immediately transfer it to smaller containers. The best is small, tall but narrow glass jars. Fill them completely full, then open as needed.

I don't have easy access to 190 proof Ethanol in Florida, so as a next best choice I've been getting Kleen-Strip Green Denatured Alcohol.

It has 80-90% ethanol, and less than 5% methanol, which is much higher than their normal DNA which has only 30-50% ethanol and 40-60% methanol these days (according to their MSDS).
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Alan, if you want to try pure ethanol, (grain alcohol) then look for the Graves brand online. I'm in NYS, where it's also illegal to buy / ship Everclear, but for some crazy reason, I can get Graves.

(Your tax dollars at work. Kind of like how I can kill a rabbit with an AK15, but if I use a sligshot it's a $3,000 fine....)

GRAVES 190 proof grain alcohol.
    2 liters (just under 1 gallon) for $94, delivered. - That’s slightly less than Everclear, and about twice the cost of Bekhol.
    It's also really good in Cranberry juice.

Purchased online, from: “International Wine Shop” They ship to NY, so they probably ship to FL.

Thanks for this, I am quite late but I just bought some a while ago from them and it was great quality so wanted to add my .02. Platina, Super blonde, Orange and Garnet so far, I have some more ordering coming up. Will chime in if the quality changes.