Thread: Tile Top Table #2

Blog Entries

Tile Top Table #2

This is another tile top side table. The first had an approximately 16" square top. This one is 12".

Tile Top Table.jpg

Very much like the first one with a few changes to the edges.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very nice. I like those tile tops for outside. Do you leave the tile loose? I've made a few tables with tile and had the tile crack or the wood joints open up when left outside during the summer even under cover. Last one I left a good 1/4 around the tile and filled with flexible caulk. Wife's sister has had it for a few years and it has survived. I like the edges you put on it. Is that 45 work?.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Very nice. I like those tile tops for outside. Do you leave the tile loose? I've made a few tables with tile and had the tile crack or the wood joints open up when left outside during the summer even under cover. Last one I left a good 1/4 around the tile and filled with flexible caulk. Wife's sister has had it for a few years and it has survived. I like the edges you put on it. Is that 45 work?.
    Jim
    Yes there is a little space around the tiles and they are not glued in. The reasoning is folks might have a tile that matches their use. Also if one is a little devious they can have a guest over and when they are distracted, change the tile and see if they notice upon their return.

The reeds on the edges are done with a Stanley #45 and the #233 blade.

The trim made for my first tile top used a #234 blade. There is more on rehabilitating and using molding planes and making a molding using the Stanley #45 in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...33#post2544433

Near the end is a link to a video of my making the sides for the first table using the Stanley #45 and other planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice Jim. Its simple and functional.