Thread: Screws vs dowels?

Screws vs dowels?

I am starting a Penobscot 17 from Arch Davis designs. The plans call for using screws as fasteners, such as when fixing the stringers to the bulkheads.

Would dowels work as well as screws? Several considerations come to mind. Will the dowels expand and contract in size in a way that would compromise integrity when compared to screws? What about sheer strength? In furniture tests the dowels themselves tend not to fail, rather the wood around the dowels tends to break. Would the same hold true for a small boat?

I can't even imagine how you would use dowels in this application. Are you suggesting to bore a through hole and then drive the dowel in with the heads of the cut off dowels visible - as is the case when using tunnels in traditional ship building or timber framing?

Not really practical on a small boat. Anything less than 1/2" dowels is pretty useless - I think - would take little effort to twist them to breaking. Messy too as you would likely need to bed these in epoxy as you drive them in. Screws is the long time accepted method for interior boat joinery.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 06-12-2016 at 2:57 PM. Reason: Written English :)
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thanks. A great answer and I appreciate your reasons.

Silicon bronze screws are what you need. They are made for the purpose.

An old tradition - before screws were available, in particular - was the use of wooden trunnels ("tree nails") to fasten parts of ships and boats. They were typically shaped with a wide barrel portion that tapered to a narrower tip or a "milk bottle" shape (if you're old enough to know what a milk bottle used to look like). The would be coated with glue and driven into a correspondingly shaped hold spanning two parts and clamped until the glue set up. Worked well. Much more labor intensive than screws, but it would work for you if you use a good epoxy and can find a good was to shape the parts and drill the shaped hole. A straight dowel wouldn't be a good choice, since it doesn't have the holding power offered by the shape of the trunnel "head."
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

I like using silicon bronze screws. They usually have either slotted or Frearson (Reed and Prince) heads so be sure to get the right drivers and mark them (fingernail polish works well) so they don't get confused with Phillips drivers.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I personally would go with screws. If you ever have to do restoration or repair work in the future, it would be easier.
    Mac