Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Grinder for CBN wheel for sharpening

Blog Entries
    I used an old pre cut/scrap cabinet top to make the existing grinder platform from, as a temporary solution. The SB rest is maybe an inch from the edge. I plan to make another larger top. Still the design of the SB rest base may be a limiting factor. I am deciding whether or not to continue using the Delta grinder for my CBN wheels....A wider, “square” CBN wheel, like John K and Derek Cohen use, will not fit on the Delta’s arbor. My plan is to redesign the whole cabinet to fit the grinder and rests I will use, after I decide which grinder and CBN wheels to use, thus the questions I have posed.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 01-12-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Do you have issues with 1/2 HP grinders wearing or slowing down, due to lack of HP? The other issue I have with the Delta grinder is the axel is too short for some CBN wheels.
    The 1/2 hp Rikon I have does start up more slowly but no issues yet besides that. I've heard of people with two heavy steel CBN wheels having to give a spin by hand to get the grinder going.

iPhone evidently records the camera orientation in the image file. Sometimes even editing the image doesn't help. What usually helps is loading the image in some program, making a edit, then saving it as a completely different file type. Maybe that fixed yours.

Blog Entries
    The Delta grinder is designed for narrower wheels. The 1 HP Rikon should turn the 1.5 wide, radius edge, 180 grit steel D-Way and an aluminum WW 1.5 Mega Square, 80 grit wheel without any trouble. I have reason to think these two wheels will present a problem for the Delta. I would like to be able to use both wheels on a single machine. I could try it with the Delta but I don’t think the wheels will fit properly and I would prefer to mount buffing wheels on the Delta. I would also like to be confident that my new sharpening station will handle the maximum range of tool, sizes and shapes.

I did not think about changing the format of the picture John, good tip.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 01-12-2018 at 11:59 PM.

I'm a bit late seeing this thread, but hope my update may be useful information. I'm the guy with the high speed Metabo grinder seen earlier in this thread.

While I could grind tools with that setup, and not over heat an edge, my helpers had a harder time. Since I want my helpers to be able to do what needs to be done, the Metabo got put to another use, and I picked up a Baldor buffer off CL that runs at half the speed of the Metabo grinder. Anyone can grind with that setup without overheating an edge.

The Baldor is as smooth as the Metabo, but I stole if for the asking price off $65. I wouldn't pay the new price for a Baldor, but I have a bunch of Baldor motors, and it's my first choice in electric motors. I already had one dedicated to buffing, but didn't want to take that one out of buffer service.

Knowing what I experienced with the Metabo smoothness, if starting from scratch, I would be tempted to get the 10" Metabo that runs at 1800, but if the return policy was okay with the previously mentioned grinders in this thread, I'd try one of those first.

In short, I'd recommend starting with a slow speed grinder.

Good points there,Tom. Does little good to have employees burning tools that belong to you. I've done a lot of grinding such as making shaper cutters and maintaining chisels and such; and still much more at home with the 1725 range speed.

Knowing what I experienced with the Metabo smoothness, if starting from scratch, I would be tempted to get the 10" Metabo that runs at 1800, but if the return policy was okay with the previously mentioned grinders in this thread, I'd try one of those first.

Tom, I am not sure if there is a typo, but the surface speed of a 10" at half speed will be about the same as a full speed 8". Did you mean to recommend a half speed 8"?

Regards from Perth

Derek

It's sold as a 10" grinder, with 10" friable wheels. The 10" wheels, and everything else comes off. It's a 1800 rpm motor. Metabo doesn't make anything but that one 8", that I'm aware of. https://www.metabo.com/us/enus/tools...h-grinder.html

It's still not cheap, but probably less than a Baldor buffer. It's been a while since I looked at their prices.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-15-2018 at 8:21 PM.

Tom, I once owned a 10" full speed (not half speed) bench grinder. It was scary! It sounded like a jet taking off. The wheels pushed so much air, that it felt like sitting in front of a fan. Although I balanced the wheels, it still had enough vibration that it wanted to walk across the bench. After a few weeks I put it up for sale, and it was purchased by a machinist (who is the target for this size bench grinder). He was happy with the performance ... !

Compared this with the other end of the spectrum, a 6" bench grinder - it almost feels like a toy. My Tormek has a 10" wheel, however this turns at 90 rpm as opposed to the 1800 of your machine.

The Beast! ....

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-15-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    It's sold as a 10" grinder, with 10" friable wheels. The 10" wheels, and everything else comes off. It's a 1800 rpm motor. ...
    I have the Metabo DS-200, 8" with 1" arbor, full speed, less torque and HP than their 10". I bought one for my little welding shop. I had to do some backflips to get a wire wheel on it. A wonderful bench grinder.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054M9546 I see they sell a 7" grinder too, the DS-175

JKJ

I have had a D-Way 80 grit CBN wheel for several years and recently purchased the Rikon 1 hp grinder and 600 grit Mega Square CBN. Great setup - quick to power up, quiet and smooth.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.

That 1hp Rikon is the one I would try first now. If it was available when I ended up with the Metabo, I just missed it, or it might be the one I'd be using now. Having experienced how smooth the Metabo is, it would be hard to accept less now. I ordered, and sent back two different slow speed grinders before I tried the Metabo, and it stayed. I wish Metabo had a larger selection than they do. I should have sent the full speed 8" back, and ordered the slower 10", but I was making out fine with the full speed, and didn't think far enough ahead to realize that my helpers would have a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    .. Having experienced how smooth the Metabo is, it would be hard to accept less now....
    My experience is the 1hp Rikon with CBN wheels is just as smooth as the Metabo with the traditional wheels. The wheels that Rikon puts on a new grinder seem pretty cheap and I've seen some with horrible vibrations. Even good norton wheels gave me some vibration until I added the OneWay balancing system. I've heard of some people having trouble with some vibration with CBN wheels on cheaper grinders but I haven't seen it on four Rikons. Perhaps one difference is I always use the spherical washer sets from Woodturners Wonders - they appear to be designed to compensate for any small irregularities in the stock washer and nut.

Perhaps Metabo uses better wheels than other mfgrs. I do like the power, switches, stock tool rest and the wheel guards of the Matabo, the general feel of quality - better than any others I've used or had. I've never used a Baldor, though.

JKJ

Regular wheels don't factor into the smoothness comparison. This picture was taken the first time I turned the high speed Metabo on with the CBN wheel. I left it running, and went to the truck to get the camera, so it had been running with the things in the picture sitting on it for several minutes. I hadn't even tightened the nuts holding the grinder to the plywood base. I haven't taken such a picture since I've been using the Baldor buffer, but it feels the same. There is Zero runout at the surface of the wheel. I wouldn't accept less than that now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    Anyone use the variable speed delta 8 in? seems like a great price. this would solve your rpm problems at a lower cost. http://www.cpooutlets.com/delta-23-1...bench-grinders
    I have the Delta VS grinder with an 80 grit CBN wheel and a 220 grit diamond wheel with a wolverine jig and the guards removed. I'm very pleased with how it works.

I recently added a Tormek BGM100 bench grinding jig that is mounted to the right of the wolverine jig and elevated so it is parallel to the center of the wheel. I opted for this setup over the wolverine adapter jig because the ergonomics are better for grinding knives, planer blades, and plane irons. Its also easier to adjust the BGM100 exactly parallel to the wheel and I can always add a wolverine adapter jig at a later time. I hardly ever use my Tormek anymore and will probably add a second BGM100 for the 80 grit wheel on the left.

I recently picked up a 1 hp 1725 RPM Milwaukee grinder at a school auction and am considering switching grinders because it is wider and will allow me to sharpen 15" planer blades without the end of the blade hitting the other wheel. I'm also looking at the possibility of adding a speed control to the grinder. The speed control listed below is for brush type motors and I'm not sure if will work with a grinder.

http://www.rockler.com/router-speed-control
    Last edited by Roy Turbett; 01-23-2018 at 9:26 PM.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post
    I have the Delta VS grinder with an 80 grit CBN wheel and a 220 grit diamond wheel with a wolverine jig and the guards removed. I'm very pleased with how it works.

I recently added a Tormek BGM100 bench grinding jig that is mounted to the right of the wolverine jig and elevated so it is parallel to the center of the wheel. I opted for this setup over the wolverine adapter jig because the ergonomics are better for grinding knives, planer blades, and plane irons. Its also easier to adjust the BGM100 exactly parallel to the wheel and I can always add a wolverine adapter jig at a later time. I hardly ever use my Tormek anymore and will probably add a second BGM100 for the 80 grit wheel on the left.

I recently picked up a 1 hp 1725 RPM Milwaukee grinder at a school auction and am considering switching grinders because it is wider and will allow me to sharpen 15" planer blades without the end of the blade hitting the other wheel. I'm also looking at the possibility of adding a speed control to the grinder. The speed control listed below is for brush type motors and I'm not sure if will work with a grinder.

http://www.rockler.com/router-speed-control

Did you have to do any changes to Wolverine base to get it to not interfere with the BGM100?