Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: REAXX review

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wilson View Post
    Regarding response times:

Although he does not compare the response time numbers, Izzy Swan does the same weiner test as SawStop did in their promos, so it seems a fair comparison. (He used a German sausage first, but could not discern any mark so he substituted a Polish sausage -- apparently because it was closer to the size of his fingers. )

In fact, he paints the sausage with bluing spray to be able to find the mark on the skin -- and he feeds it into the blade at much more aggressive rate than I saw with the SawStop ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MaaxL8nGzI

I understand Bosch adapted their existing technology for triggering air bag deployment to this use. It seems to me they use something similar to a .22 powder charge to initiate the drop.

Ironically, having the two saws to compare makes me more liable to buy one or the other.
    For a fair and objective comparison, the tests must be done using the type of saw (contractor vs contractor, not a professional model which most SawStop demos are done on), the same type of blade and ideally the same feeding rate, etc. Apple to apple, that is. And the response time is an apple to apple comparison.

Over time, of course, when the Reaxx has the feedback from its users (with photos of the injured fingers), we will have a better idea of the cuts.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    From my experience on job sites, I'd say accidents happen for many reasons not at all related to a deficiency of a given tool. There can be a lot of noise, constant distractions and even those in a supervisory capacity barking out the order to hurry up. Some companies, usually the bigger ones, can be very focused on safety, but other companies only want production, even if it means risking an accident on the job. I have had that discussion more than once.
    I heard a foreman on a house built by union labor (only one I ever heard of using union labor for a house) yelling, "square and plumb I don't need, what I need is speed, speed, speed." This was a three million dollar house. Bet the owners loved this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I'd like to see a comparioson on the response time of the REAXX vs SawStop's. Such info. is not available from Bosch so far. The response time has an impact on the cuts. So far we have all seen the kind of cut that could happen with SawStop -- if you haven't go to its Save Finger page and see the pictures. Would a cut under Bosch's technology be smaller or deeper? We don't know and the response time would give us some indication in the absence of the field experience at this point.

It's a good thing to see this new development and whether someone has infringed the patent rights of another inventor, it'd be a matter for the courts.

Simon
    It'd also be nice to see a test on both saws that more nearly simulates a real life finger-saw blade encounter. A sausage moving at maybe 1"/sec. or less might be a nice sales demo but does not accurately represent a kickback moving a hand into the blade for example.

I have a feeling to determine the exact differences you will need high-speed film to measure it. One will be able to approximate the feed rate, but with a human pushing, there is likely at least minor variation. The key will be from the time the sausage hits the blade with approximately the same feed rate. One thing that doesn't need scientific analysis is that the Bosch will prove much less expensive per firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I have a feeling to determine the exact differences you will need high-speed film to measure it. One will be able to approximate the feed rate, but with a human pushing, there is likely at least minor variation. The key will be from the time the sausage hits the blade with approximately the same feed rate. One thing that doesn't need scientific analysis is that the Bosch will prove much less expensive per MIS-firing.
    Corrected that for you. For real flesh contact we don't know yet. Time will tell how good it is.

But, why would we need that now that these saws come with real riving knives?

Riving knives help prevent kickback during normal operations, the SS stuff is for prevention of flesh cutting during kickback and 'other' mishaps when someone puts their body parts too close to the spinning blade.

Anyone know if Bosh has plans to either license the safety technology or make it 'open source' (not sure of the correct term for manufacturing) for other manufacturers? It would be nice to see the system on cabinet saws in a few years Grizzly cabinet saws more specifically

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Curry View Post
    Anyone know if Bosh has plans to either license the safety technology or make it 'open source' (not sure of the correct term for manufacturing) for other manufacturers? It would be nice to see the system on cabinet saws in a few years Grizzly cabinet saws more specifically
    I've not heard anything but the Bosch tech has just hit the market. Another thought is that SawStop's patents must be close to expiring, unless Gass has a plan to extend them somehow. If Bosch's tech is seen as equivalent to SawStop, their activation mechanism doesn't trash the blade.

Good looking jobsite saw. The technology obviously works, the fence looks good, it seemed to have ample power, and it even has some reasonable operating space in front of the blade....an area that most jobsite saws fall woefully short on.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I've not heard anything but the Bosch tech has just hit the market. Another thought is that SawStop's patents must be close to expiring, unless Gass has a plan to extend them somehow. If Bosch's tech is seen as equivalent to SawStop, their activation mechanism doesn't trash the blade.
    I don't know of any easy way to extend the life of a patent. Most companies continue to patent features that are likely to be added to the technology but the basic patent expires at the end of the term. I don't know when SawStop's original patent(s) expire. Most patents have a life of 17 years after issue, if I recall correctly.

Mike

[I did a bit of research on the web and it appears that the patents may expire about 2021 to 2025. Still a fair amount of life left.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-15-2016 at 12:55 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

U.S. Patents are 17 years from issue date or 20 years from filing date.

So... the obvious question is when is Bosch going to release a cabinet saw?
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

I doubt that they ever do, but I look for them to make the technology available to other companies offering cabinet saws. That is what Bosch does, license their technology to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I doubt that they ever do, but I look for them to make the technology available to other companies offering cabinet saws. That is what Bosch does, license their technology to others.
    My feeling as well... ^^^

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep