Thread: Heart Pine

Heart Pine

I have turned heart pine (aka fat lighter pine) a couple of times before, the first time was horrible, the second was a little better. My neighbor asked me to make something from a piece of pine he had been storing for "30 years or more". It had a few radial checks but not too bad. Nearly all of the sapwood had rotted off; the remaining wood had so much resin that the shavings stuck to the soles of my shoes forming a layer almost an inch thick. It cut cleanly with very little tear-out. A negative rake scraper worked great cleaning up the outside so only a little sanding was necessary. From my previous experience, I knew that normal sanding was impossible. Wet sanding with mineral spirits worked very well, sanding while turning slowly kept the mess to a minimum. Still not my favorite wood but I will turn it again.
    Finished with one coat of tung oil and waxed with paste wax for a low luster. Diameter is just over 8 inches and 9-1/2 inches tall.
    Comments and/or critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

30 years should have been long enough to get rid of the moisture. The grain really stands out and simple form makes a dramatic piece. Your neighbor should very happy.

Really nice!!

Blog Entries
    That grain does look like pine, although I would not have guessed that was pine. Look very nice. Well executed.

5. Love the grain.....for sure an old growth tree with how close together the rings are. Bet it had a nice aroma when being turned. Nice work on this Dennis.....you brought the best out of that blank with the grain orientation you used.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice job. I have not turned any Heart Pine yet but I have made and built several projects over the years. I love the way it looks and I love the smell it leaves in the shop too. Your neighbor should love the project you did for him. Again great job.

Boy I like this piece--very pretty grain. Several years ago I turned a whole 14" stump with no hollow(rare) and sold it immediately. These were surely Longleaf pine which was labeled the best construction and boatbuilding wood in the US. The resin made it rotpruff and unbelieveably flamable. It was so valuable that after it was all clearcut the stumps were dug up and supported an industry(resin, pineoil ect.) for 80 years. There was a refinery at every RR crossing in the south for many years. In the country everyone has a lighterwood pile in thebackyard. Me too.