Thread: WorkShop 3000 Small Problem

WorkShop 3000 Small Problem

Hi Folks,
    I have a Worksharp 3000 and really like it but did not like paying for the pricey sandpaper disk replacements. I came across what I am hoping to be an economical replacement for the sandpaper disks, those being the Flat Lap Disk Wheels by Kent Blades Amazon). These come in different grits and work well, however they do not have the thick glass base that is used with the sandpaper setup. No problem, I just made a round plate of 3/8" scrap wood and used that as the stiffener. Problem is the retaining knob that holds down the wood disks tightens up considerably as you use these metal disks. This does not happen when I am using the glass plate/sandpaper set up. I think what is happening is that the metal disk is not fastened to the wood support I am using and it is slipping thus tightening the knob. I know that I could use double sided tape to fasten the metal disk to the wood support but that can get expensive with the tape these days. Is there some other way that I am not just seeing to overcome this seemingly small problem.

I put the metal disk under a glass plate and screw the knob on. Haven't had a problem getting the knob off so far.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I put the metal disk under a glass plate and screw the knob on. Haven't had a problem getting the knob off so far.

Mike
    I do the same. It works fine for me too.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Yes same here. Just use a glass disc as support under (or over) the diamond disc. No need to even remove the sandpaper from the glass disc.

I love those diamond discs. FYI- they will sharpen carbide like it was butter.

What grits do you use. These look real interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by fRED mCnEILL View Post
    What grits do you use. These look real interesting.
    It kind of depends on what you want to do. I use the WorkSharp to establish the primary bevel (25*)and then go to water stones (Shapton) to put on a secondary bevel. With that goal, I use a 180 grit. One thing I found is that, while the diamonds hold up fairly well, they lose some of their "aggressiveness" as they get older. I recently ordered a 100 grit and will try that soon. If that's too aggressive, I'll try a 120 grit. The plates are not very expensive so you can experiment.

Also, with this setup, I don't have to change plates. The 180 (soon the 100) just sits on the WorkSharp all the time and I only use it to establish the primary bevel.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Emmerling View Post
    Hi Folks,
    Problem is the retaining knob that holds down the wood disks tightens up considerably as you use these metal disks. This does not happen when I am using the glass plate/sandpaper set up. I think what is happening is that the metal disk is not fastened to the wood support I am using and it is slipping thus tightening the knob. I know that I could use double sided tape to fasten the metal disk to the wood support but that can get expensive with the tape these days. Is there some other way that I am not just seeing to overcome this seemingly small problem.
    This has happened to me using the lapidary disc on a glass disc. I use a small piece of leather wrapped around the knob to grip it. Worst case, I have to use a channel lock plier to loosen it.

Blog Entries
    I do as Mike H does. I have 400, 1000, 4000 and maybe 8000. The 8000 (if I still have it) did not prove real useful on the Worksharp as the leather disc seems to do that job better for me. As always in sharpening; it depends.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

As others have said, I've had no problem without fastening, taping etc....It should work for you...
    Jerry

Don, I have the same discs that I purchased off ebay, and I made discs out of 1/2" MDO and bought some magnetic sign 6" discs with a PSA backing that I stuck to the MDO discs and then the Lapidary discs since they are steel they stick with no problem. The only problem I had was the discs were thicker and I had to replace the WS thumb screw with one I made up from WoodPeckers red knobs.
    Herb

http://www.magnetking.com/store/peel...ck/circle-1929

http://www.jadecarver.com
    Last edited by Herb Stoops; 05-17-2016 at 9:26 PM.