Thread: Spokeshave success

Spokeshave success

Some time ago I was working on a curved board that needed a bullnose profile. It was my excuse to purchase a spokeshave. I sharpened it as best I could freehand (as you know it's too short to fit into a honing guide), and thought I'd have a go at it. The project board was sapele. After about 20 minutes of fiddling, I ended that exercise in frustration.

The spokeshave went in a drawer.

Recently, I was going through Paul Sellers' new book and saw the spokeshave sharpening jig and decided to give it a try (come to find out he also has a YouTube video on making one).

I must say, it works well, and made a world of difference in performance. What a breakthrough huh?...when it's sharp it works

Here's the jig...I tapered the sides as Paul suggests to fit snug with the honing guide.
    image.jpg image.jpg

And here's the result...first walnut, then sapele
    image.jpg image.jpg

Great pictures; I finally understand how spokeshaves work. And congrats on figuring it out on your own!

Good job Phil! Thank you for showing this. Now I might be able to get an edge on the ole Record.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Blog Entries
    I have a similar guide with only a screw, nut and washer to hold those short blades for free handing.

I think David Weaver posted something about blade holders for freehand sharpening a few years ago, dang I miss him.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-15-2016 at 11:53 AM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I made the Paul Sellers spokeshave sharpening jig and had good success with sharpening my blade on my Worksharp.

Good job and results Phil....looks good!
    Jerry