Thread: Jig for sharpening wooden spokeshave blades

Jig for sharpening wooden spokeshave blades

I made a jig written about in Fine Woodworking for sharpening spokeshave blades. It works fine for metal shaves but not so good for me for my wooden shave. This is sling-shot shaped, or for the younger set like a football goalpost. It is used with an Eclipse style holder. The stone must be either tall enough, or raised up on something, to give clearance for the blade’s post. I use a tilt box to set the angle, so have a fender washer on top of the jig. If your blade is held in the shave with tension you might want to drill and tap the jig for set screws. I use the knurled nuts from the shave.
    I submitted this to Popular Woodworking magazine several months ago but as they don’t even acknowledge receiving tips I’ll pass it on here.

P1180173.JPGP1180098.JPGP1180102.JPG

After I get the primary bevel where I want it, 25 deg, I slide the eclipse jig forward about 1/8" to get a micro-bevel.

Paul

You don't need a jig. Just use India slip stones followed by Arkansas,or better yet,a white ceramic slipstone. It isn't that hard to do.