Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G0766 speed control is whacked.

G0766 speed control is whacked.

Today I was finishing up a walnut bowl and noticed the low end speed of the G0766 is whacked. From dead stop to about 80 rpm on low speed belt config, it's OK, but a hair above 80 rpm, and it shoot to 800 rpm. No in between. What should I do? I blew out the belt compartment and also to outside of VFR, but no change. HELP please.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Call Grizzly, they would be your best bet for good information.
    Fred

Have you tried disconnecting power, letting it set unpowered for a couple minutes and then reconnecting power? Some motor controllers need to have power removed to reset if they experience an error.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Today I was finishing up a walnut bowl and noticed the low end speed of the G0766 is whacked. From dead stop to about 80 rpm on low speed belt config, it's OK, but a hair above 80 rpm, and it shoot to 800 rpm. No in between. What should I do? I blew out the belt compartment and also to outside of VFR, but no change. HELP please.
    Sounds like the speed potentiometer failed on you. It is a small, inexpensive part, and they will replace it. If I were you, I would try to unplug the lathe for a few minutes, then hit all the reset buttons, and see if that brought it all back up....if not the pot likely needs to be replaced. Any looseness in the knob turning, or can you feel the resistance in the pot?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Sounds like the speed potentiometer failed on you. It is a small, inexpensive part, and they will replace it. If I were you, I would try to unplug the lathe for a few minutes, then hit all the reset buttons, and see if that brought it all back up....if not the pot likely needs to be replaced. Any looseness in the knob turning, or can you feel the resistance in the pot?
    Yep, sounds like the speed pot, it's about a three dollar part but Grizzly will replace it for free. Mine [G0733] started acting up about a month ago. I contacted Grizzly and they promptly sent a new potentiometer no questions asked.

Sounds like the same problem I had. It was the potentiometer. I got one from Grizzly,but it took them a long time to get it to me,so I ordered three of them from Amazon for $15 for all three. No problem since then.

If it is a pot I would suggest getting a honeywell rv4n type (milatary grade) http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10194

PS. If you are not sure, here is a simple way to test http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Potentiometer (if you don't have a multimeter, the cheapest one from harbor freight would do the job)
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 03-19-2016 at 8:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schneider View Post
    If it is a pot I would suggest getting a honeywell rv4n type (milatary grade) http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&storeId=10194...
    I concur. Don't mess with the cheesy pots. This is a component that sees very heavy use and a heavy duty part should be used.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Just got home from a party for my kids, and the unit was unplugged all day. I plugged it into power, and it's the same as it was before - 0-80 rpm, fine; 81 jumps to 800 rpms, nothing in between. I don't know what you mean by reset buttons, so please let me know what those are. I always turn power on in neutral rotation. The knob was tight on the pot shaft. I checked that earlier.
    Last edited by Mark Greenbaum; 03-19-2016 at 11:44 PM.

10. Mark, it sounds like the potentiometer needs changing out. The fact that you have the gap with a dramatic increase in rpm's seems to indicate a bad pot. Fairly simple fix.....just follow the good advice given in this and in Lynn and Brice's threads. I would try to get the military grade if it were me just to avoid a possible repeat of the problem.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

It may just be that the contact points have gotten gummed up over time. With the lathe's power off, try spinning the speed control knob back and forth 15 or 20 times and see if that doesn't cure the problem.

Mark, here are three pictures that may be of a small help to you. At least you'll know what you are getting in to before you take your G0766 lathe apart.

One picture shows the switch and speed control assembly. The other two are close ups of the pot. If you are nimble-fingered, I suppose that you could cut the original wires close to the old pot and resolder them to the new one. The Griz replacement pot came with wire pigtails attached. So I snipped the original wires fairly close to the old pot, stripped them and attached them to the pigtails. I twisted them, then soldered them (Yeah, I know....) and insulated them with the small wire nuts. I may have also taped the three wire nuts together or ti-wrapped them (yes, I know...belt and suspenders,..)
    IMG_0008 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0007 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0006 (1024x768).jpg

Brice, again, thank you for the informative pictures. I just got off the phone with Paul at Grizzly CS, and have replacement potentiometer coming my way asap. Also spindle bearings (in case the clicking noise I've heard is the bearings on the way out) and touch-up paint (from delivery scars). Very nice guy to deal with, and helpful. I'm still going to try to find a mil spec pot locally to be the replacement; just need to find time to look for it. Thanks FORUM - you guys rock.

I can not argue with the logic of using a high quality potentiometer, they get adjusted a LOT but I have been using a Radio Shack pot ($2.99) for at least 7 years on my lathe with no issues.
    The pots get a lot of use / mechanical wear but handle very low current.

WOW - fast service. I called about 10 am yesterday and the order has shipped, and should be here today. NICE. I can be turning again very soon.