Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on metal laser engravers

Question on metal laser engravers

Can these metal laser engravers like Epilog's fiber lasers cut stainless steel sheets (2 or 3 mils thick) or only mark on them? Thanks!

Jim

I'm sure gantry lasers can, but my galvo will cut metal that thin.
    355 - 10400 : )

Since you'll likely need many passes to cut even very thin metal, a gantry is not really an option. It's too slow compared to a galvo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Since you'll likely need many passes to cut even very thin metal, a gantry is not really an option. It's too slow compared to a galvo.
    +1 What Gary Said
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

With a CO2 laser many fast passes are pretty much equal to one slow pass. What is different about a fiber laser that it can't cut deeper when moving slowly?
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    With a CO2 laser many fast passes are pretty much equal to one slow pass. What is different about a fiber laser that it can't cut deeper when moving slowly?
    It's the same reason you can't take a pizza that should cook at 450 degrees for 30 minutes and use 900 degrees for 15 minutes - some things don't scale.

It's the same reason you can't take a pizza that should cook at 450 degrees for 30 minutes and use 900 degrees for 15 minutes - some things don't scale.
    Interesting answer. I asked what is different, since I know that a CO2 laser is one of those things that do scale.
    Gerber Sabre 408

Interesting answer. I asked what is different, since I know that a CO2 laser is one of those things that do scale.
    Running a job at 100% power and 100% speed is not the same as 50% power and 50% speed. By the same token, running a job at 100% power and 10% speed doesn't mean you can cut twice as deep, or twice as fast, as a job that ran 100% power and 20% speed.

Running a job at 100% power and 100% speed is not the same as 50% power and 50% speed. By the same token, running a job at 100% power and 10% speed doesn't mean you can cut twice as deep, or twice as fast, as a job that ran 100% power and 20% speed.
    I disagree. In my experience there is a correlation between speed and power that approximates a linear relationship. Not exactly of course, but similar. It does take roughly twice as long to cut through something at half speed and full power compared to two passes at full power and double speed.

However I am not asking about the speed/power relationship for CO2 lasers, I already know that. I am asking if that relationship is different with fiber lasers. If so, why? Why can you not just slow down the gantry laser to cut the thin metal? Why do the number of passes need to remain the same, therefore making the gantry too slow?
    Gerber Sabre 408

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Good View Post
    Can these metal laser engravers like Epilog's fiber lasers cut stainless steel sheets (2 or 3 mils thick) or only mark on them? Thanks!
    Do you truly mean 2-3mils (which is 0.002-0.003" thick), or 2-3 millimeters? That will affect the answers...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Sorry, been away from the computer today.

Dan, I truly mean 2-3 mils. I'm needing to cut .002" stainless steel foil and also .003" stainless foil but I've only got a 35 watt CO2 laser so I haven't even tried cutting with it. I'm guessing I need something like an Epilog fiber laser to cut this material and wanted someone to agree or disagree that it would cut it or maybe just mark it.

Jim

This is what Epilog says about their fiber laser cutting metal;

The Fiber Laser can only cut through very thin gauge metals. We've had success at cutting up to 0.012" (.30 mm) thick metals.
    Gerber Sabre 408

This is what Epilog says about their fiber laser cutting metal;

The Fiber Laser can only cut through very thin gauge metals. We've had success at cutting up to 0.012" (.30 mm) thick metals.
    Thanks Rich. I couldn't find that info on their website. Looks like they should cut through 2 or 3 mils.

This material will be part of an experiment that will be flown on the Space Station early next year.

Jim

I believe part of the answer of why a gantry can't cut like a galvo is heat soak. As I understand it (<<disclaimer ) the beam moving via high-speed galvo is only within a, lets say .015" (for example) area for an extremely small period of time, which allows the laser to effectively cut or vaporize 'unobstucted' by the beam itself, whereas moving the beam via turtle-speed gantry results in the beam remaining in that .015" area for a laser-eternity, resulting in the metal simply getting too hot and melting down, rather than clean-cutting or vaporizing. More power would likely make it worse, meaning to get a gantry to effectively cut or vaporize metal without melting would require much LESS power. But that would mean several laser-eternities to get the same job done as a galvo in a minute or so; the beam can hit the same spot over and over very quickly, but with plenty enough dwell time to prevent melting.

Think of a cutting torch, there's an optimum speed depending on the flame (power), higher power, must go faster...

--as I understand it!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Fibers put a LOT of heat (energy) into an area when trying to cut things like thin metal shim stock. Be prepared to have it warp and twist substantially, as well as discolor.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.