Thread: Bridal Chest Lid

Bridal Chest Lid

I have built my first large furniture project, a bridal chest (44"L x 23 1/2"W x 22"h), made from Sapele (frame) and African Mahogany (panels). Now I am focusing on the lid, which is where my problem lies. I was going to make the lid from quarter sawn ribbon stripe Sapele to match the frame, however, I could not locally source that material, and mail order proved to be too expensive.
    So I purchased 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood, and veneered it with the ribbon striped Sapele paper backed veneer using contact cement.
    My plan is to frame this plywood lid with African Mahogany with miter joints and tongue and groove joints. I plan on using my newly acquired Freud 99-036 adjustable tongue and groove bit to accomplish this.

My question is, how do I go about framing this panel (19 3/4" x 41"), using
    2 1/4" rail and stile pieces, with an overhang of 3/4" on sides and front, leaving me with tight miters and joints?

I don't have much experience with miter joints, especially on this large scale, and I'm afraid I'm going to screw this up. Is there a method that will assure me an accurate job? I have done some research on this, but I would like to get some input from some of you on this forum. Do I cut the miters on the long pieces first? Should I build a miter shooting board (no experience)? Should I reinforce the miters with loose tenons or dowels? Should I glue the tongue and groove joints?

Thanks for any and all guidance that you might offer.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pic of chest

Another view