Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a router to profile granite edge?

Using a router to profile granite edge?

Hi,

This may be an off the wall question, not sure...

I remember seeing a video where Jack Forsberg used a router to cut cast iron. Never would have thought to do that myself...but he got an excellent result!

So now I need to profile the edge of a couple small pieces of bathroom counter top, to duplicate the edge of the main piece. I can buy a carbide bit to accomplish this in wood, but wonder, if I took small passes, if I could accomplish the same thing with either granite or man-made material, using that same carbide bit.

So....... Anyone tried it and succeeded, or failed?

No need to tell me I am crazy for even considering such a thing. Already know that...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

typically granite shaping/profiling is done with water to cool the granite and tool. not sure what speed the tool they use is but its a reasonable guess that the tooling is carbide. water for cooling also adds in the reduction of dust. i would do more research on granite tools and techniques before i would try something like that. i personally would just have a shop do it.

for man made materials are you talking about about solid surface counter tops? i.e. corian then yes you can use a regular router and bits to profile the edges.

It will cost less to get a granite fabrication place to do it than to buy the tooling needed. I've had edges run on recycled pieces, and it wasn't too bad.

Blog Entries
    Diamond is typically used on stone, correct?
    NOW you tell me...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    This question comes up on the CNC forums once in awhile. The consensus is always to take the piece to a commercial stone cutting shop, or you'll end up sending hot carbide shrapnel flying around the shop.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Great input so far!

I keep returning to Jack Forsberg in my mind though...but I am not sure how cast iron compares to granite. When I said man-made I was referring to Quartz, which I think is a man-made material when counter tops are the subject.

I only only need to do this for less than six lineal inches. Would be nice to hear from someone who did it, either successfully or with catastrophic results I don't think such a small amount would be cost-effective having a specialty shop do it for me.

The second option is to use wood transition pieces. In any event I suppose I should make those pieces in advance should I decide to try using the router bit on the stone material itself.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Diamond is typically used on stone, correct?
    One of my colleagues came from the granite/stone industry and told me it's all diamond, with water spray.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

After a quick search, you can buy diamond roundover bits that fit an angle grinder on Amazon for around $75-$125.

You can also buy a water cooling adapter for the angle grinder.
    Gerry

JointCAM

If it were soapstone, not a problem. But granite requires very special tooling. Get a pro to edge it for you. Faster and likely much less expensive. And safer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Great input so far!

I keep returning to Jack Forsberg in my mind though...but I am not sure how cast iron compares to granite. When I said man-made I was referring to Quartz, which I think is a man-made material when counter tops are the subject.

I only only need to do this for less than six lineal inches. Would be nice to hear from someone who did it, either successfully or with catastrophic results I don't think such a small amount would be cost-effective having a specialty shop do it for me.

The second option is to use wood transition pieces. In any event I suppose I should make those pieces in advance should I decide to try using the router bit on the stone material itself.

Bill
    Cast Iron is a LOT softer than stone (and granite in particular).
    I have worked with marble in my woodworking shop (only creating a very small micro-bevel on the edge of some marble tiles on my edge sander) but I'd never even attempt to use any woodworking cutting tool on granite.

Fairly often I see countertop guys cutting the hole for a drop-in sink, using an angle grinder without water. I think they're using just a cheap masonry wheel. Usually one guy cuts, and another guy holds a shop vac to pick up the dust. So that would argue that one could grind a roundover on 6" worth of granite for a couple bucks worth of abrasive wheel. Wouldn't hurt to try. Dunno about polishing the roundover to the sheen of the top of the slab.

water to cool the stone and cutter or you will chip and crack the stone. The sink cutouts for drop in sinks are VERY roughly done and it's done with a diamond wheel in the angle grinder and again water.

I never considered using a router on granite, but I searched the web a little for "diamond router bits" and found this (among other things):

Diamond router Bit 3-15-16.jpg

$16.24 from Walmart

Interesting Jerry!

Overnight I concluded it would be wise to give up on this idea, but a diamond bit like you found could be the solution.

If I do end up trying something I will be sure to report back. At this point not sure what I will finally end up doing...

Bill

The granite fabricators I've watched work use ordinary routers to profile their edges (with a water spray and diamond cutters), so no reason it won't work for you. A bit that will hold up to any amount of work may cost a tad more than $16.24 from the WallyMart.