Thread: Long term latex paint storage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Keep the paint codes so they can make it again in the future if your current stash can't be used.
    I went this route in the past then they changed the paint code system and said they can't use the old formulas with the new system and had to start over with bad results. No good. I like the mason jar or plastic jar idea better.

Red
    RED

We keep a paint book. Each room/section of the house gets its own page(s). We write down the brand, paint name and codes and paint a section of paper. This is really useful if I had to mix up my own witches brew to get a certain color or stain. Yes, I used it for furniture/cabinets I make, too.

As to the latex keeping, I would get it into an all-plastic container ASAP. Some paint companies have gone to all plastic...Dutch Boy is one that I'm aware of. There are companies out there that sell paint-can style cans in gallon, quart and pint that are made entirely of plastic. I bought a bunch and I transfer all my paints into them for long-term storage.

For touch-ups, keep small containers as you come upon them and put a little paint in them with a label. Those are greats for dings and such.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

In a flash of brilliance I realized that I can now keep paint information where I can find it-- I've started snapping a picture of the label with my phone, If I do it in the room being painted I can even remember where each color goes. The pictures automatically upload to my computer where they are easy to search, get backed up, and don't get lost. We've saved samples, either cans, cards, or books with the paint chips for decades and when needed I can either 1) not find them or 2) can find the can but discover the label has faded to unreadability. I was to happy when I needed another couple of gallons to finish the barn when I just pulled out my phone, found the pic and was able to sam make me more of this!

I did some touch up recently and found it really easy to cut out a small square of drywall and take it to the paint store for them to color match. I believe that they want around 1" square. I cut a 1.5" hole in the outer paper layer of the drywall and peeled it back. I did this behind doors or other inconspicuous locations. It is even easier if you made a paint book when the original painting was done.

Home Depot charges only $3 for an 8oz can of paint color matched through their machine. Quart sizes are around $10, but the 8oz cans are usually plenty. I simply spackled over the cutout and covered it with the new paint.

I am starting to question why I have so many cans of paint stored away when it is so easy to get good enough color matching today.

Steve