Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long term latex paint storage?

Long term latex paint storage?

Just had the house painted, and have several gallon-sized cans of various colors of paint left over. If they stay in the can, they will be useless if I ever need to use them for touchup. Is there a good way to store these long-term? Mason jar maybe? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Metal Cans? New or opened?

The primary metal is the water in the paint causing the can to rust. Not much you can do about new full cans. Some people store them upside down to ensure a seal. That has never been my issue. I only have the cans rust. Even a plastic can has a metal lid and seal.
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 03-02-2016 at 2:12 PM.

I like to buy plastic cans, but it is too late for that now.
    I put what I expect to need for touchup in a glass jar and dispose of the rest. Just try to keep paint off the threads.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Keep the paint codes so they can make it again in the future if your current stash can't be used.

Displacing the air in the space above the paint helps. Any inert gas. I used nitrogen when I had access. After I retired I use propane from my small torch. Mistake. The paint was still good some months later but it had absorbed the odorant in the propane and really stunk when applied. Had to throw it out. Live and learn. Not sure where to get small amounts of gas. Maybe a bit of dry ice but you don't want to pressurize the can.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I would make paint strips on some heavy paper and add the codes for future resupply, but would also transfer about a pint to quart (as defined by the potential touch up area) to sealed glass mason jars filled to the neck and then spray some Bloxygen on top before adding some Saran Wrap and the metal screw caps. Label them and store in a cool space. JMTCW.

Gallon sized windshield washer fluid jugs. I have paint that is 10 yrs old and it is still fully usable. A side benefit of the jugs is that it is super easy to shake the jug then pour the small amount of paint that is usually needed for a touch up. I've never bothered with any inert gas in the headspace and I have never had a problem. Been doing it like this for over 25 years now...

Also, if the paint was mixed, have the store print duplicate labels for you and stick them right on the jugs. I
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 03-02-2016 at 7:12 PM.

Don't store latex paint where it might freeze.

Cool, dry place out of the sun. I've generally not used paint over about 10 years old, but used plenty that was nearing that no problem. Usually, by the time 10 years rolls around, the lid is one with the can, and the lid has to be destroyed to get it open. The fuller the can, the better, and don't set them directly on concrete if the can has a metal bottom. If they're medium to deep colors, it probably won't matter much anyway, because the paint on the walls will have changed color enough to make touch-up less than ideal.

Just my experience after about 20 years of professional painting.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    We are moving and I took down some drapery rods which were held in place by molys. Our house in 11 years old with the original paint. I filled the holes and touched up with some of the original paint, which was in the original metal can, sealed well and I was surprised that the touch up matched perfectly. It was Benjamin Moore paint, which I guess must be a pretty good paint as it appears there was no change in color over all 11 years.
    Dennis

Thanks for the responses. Also good point regarding the darker colors (we have some that are on the dark side). I will definitely save the labels, good idea getting the store to print off duplicates.

Jason, are you saying you just leave the paint in the original can without problem? I have some *almost* full cans that would probably be easier to leave as is as opposed to transferring to a smaller container.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Keep the paint codes so they can make it again in the future if your current stash can't be used.
    I went this route in the past then they changed the paint code system and said they can't use the old formulas with the new system and had to start over with bad results. No good. I like the mason jar or plastic jar idea better.

Red
    RED

We keep a paint book. Each room/section of the house gets its own page(s). We write down the brand, paint name and codes and paint a section of paper. This is really useful if I had to mix up my own witches brew to get a certain color or stain. Yes, I used it for furniture/cabinets I make, too.

As to the latex keeping, I would get it into an all-plastic container ASAP. Some paint companies have gone to all plastic...Dutch Boy is one that I'm aware of. There are companies out there that sell paint-can style cans in gallon, quart and pint that are made entirely of plastic. I bought a bunch and I transfer all my paints into them for long-term storage.

For touch-ups, keep small containers as you come upon them and put a little paint in them with a label. Those are greats for dings and such.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

In a flash of brilliance I realized that I can now keep paint information where I can find it-- I've started snapping a picture of the label with my phone, If I do it in the room being painted I can even remember where each color goes. The pictures automatically upload to my computer where they are easy to search, get backed up, and don't get lost. We've saved samples, either cans, cards, or books with the paint chips for decades and when needed I can either 1) not find them or 2) can find the can but discover the label has faded to unreadability. I was to happy when I needed another couple of gallons to finish the barn when I just pulled out my phone, found the pic and was able to sam make me more of this!

I did some touch up recently and found it really easy to cut out a small square of drywall and take it to the paint store for them to color match. I believe that they want around 1" square. I cut a 1.5" hole in the outer paper layer of the drywall and peeled it back. I did this behind doors or other inconspicuous locations. It is even easier if you made a paint book when the original painting was done.

Home Depot charges only $3 for an 8oz can of paint color matched through their machine. Quart sizes are around $10, but the 8oz cans are usually plenty. I simply spackled over the cutout and covered it with the new paint.

I am starting to question why I have so many cans of paint stored away when it is so easy to get good enough color matching today.

Steve