Thread: DC Question

DC Question

If I use 6" 26ga HVAC duct for a run, would it be ok to use the 30ga fittings (wye, etc)?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't think there's much danger of collapsing a 30 ga fitting (there is with 30 ga duct). But you'll have to have the ducting well supported because it won't take much torque to pull apart a 30 ga elbow.

Yes, you can use the standard fittings, although they are not ideal for dust collection work. Why? Because they are "backwards" relative to air flow. HVAC fittings are setup for air moving "out" from the HVAC system; dust collection fittings are designed for air moving towards the collection system. This isn't an issue for elbows (although in most cases, it's hard to find long-radius elbows in the HVAC section of suppliers), but the wyes will have to be modified due to how they are crimped on opposite sides.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What are the specs of the dust collector youre hooking this ducting up to?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thanks guys. It's the HF 2hp model. My run is only ~20ft in length and I will have ~5 blastgates, but will probably never use any two pcs of eqt simultaneously.

30ga fitting should be fine. Yes, the wyes are backwards so you will have to flatten the crimped ends and crimp the flat end to reverse them. I think the crimper is around $20 at the BORG. He's is some testing I did using 30ga pipe and fittings. There was never a problem with the fittings.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...pse&highlight=

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ing&highlight=
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought all fitting was 26ga.
    I bought mine at Lowes mainly and they haven't collapsed with my 3hp cyclone; so whatever they are is fine.
    I got my 26ga ducts at a HVAC supply shop, but Lowes was much cheaper on fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Maybe I am wrong, but I thought all fitting was 26ga.
    I bought mine at Lowes mainly and they haven't collapsed with my 3hp cyclone; so whatever they are is fine.
    I got my 26ga ducts at a HVAC supply shop, but Lowes was much cheaper on fittings.
    The elbows I bought were 30ga, however the wyes were closer to 26ga from the BORGs. I measured everything before I did my testing.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.