Thread: Want to build a Canoe but clueless about boats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Mac,
    its OAL is just on 4.7m (about 15 1/2 ft, I think), beam is 83cm. I used heavy 6mm marine ply from Bunnings (because it was cheap) and added watertight bulkheads and an extra seat in the middle instead of a spreader, so mine comes in at around 33kg - light enough to lift onto the roof of my car, but heavy enough that put it on wheels rather than carry it for any great distance. I probably could have got the weight down to around 20-25kg with a better (but more expensive) and thinner choice of ply.

It handles chop and swell just fine. I take it out in-shore on Bass Strait when the wind's not too bad and it handles little 2 foot shorebreaks just fine, and out the back is comfortable in 5 foot swells, even in a following sea (the airtight bulkheads help a lot with that). I've been on lakes in it with a couple of 20 knot blows, and it was fine with the chop from them.

Michael,
    Thanks for all the information. I would have to make a few mods to get the weight down to a bare minimum(tired back) although it sounds like it would work really well for my needs. Did you use any epoxy or fiberglass in the construction? I might be able to carve a few pounds(kg) if I'm careful w/ the trimmings. I like the water tight bulkheads, I'm a decent swimmer although if you take a dip in cold water back in the refuge, it might take a bit to get back in the boat.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mules View Post
    Hi Mac,
    its OAL is just on 4.7m (about 15 1/2 ft, I think), beam is 83cm. I used heavy 6mm marine ply from Bunnings (because it was cheap) and added watertight bulkheads and an extra seat in the middle instead of a spreader, so mine comes in at around 33kg - light enough to lift onto the roof of my car, but heavy enough that put it on wheels rather than carry it for any great distance. I probably could have got the weight down to around 20-25kg with a better (but more expensive) and thinner choice of ply.

It handles chop and swell just fine. I take it out in-shore on Bass Strait when the wind's not too bad and it handles little 2 foot shorebreaks just fine, and out the back is comfortable in 5 foot swells, even in a following sea (the airtight bulkheads help a lot with that). I've been on lakes in it with a couple of 20 knot blows, and it was fine with the chop from them.
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 04-06-2018 at 8:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    Did you use any epoxy or fiberglass in the construction? I might be able to carve a few pounds(kg) if I'm careful w/ the trimmings.
    Mac
    Hi Mac, no fiberglass, except for at the outside seams. The entire construction was coated with epoxy inside and out, and all pieces epoxied together (no chines). And it has stood up to being heavily abused, being dragged over snags and rocks, bashed into submerged trees and bounced over logs and rapids. The keel being sacrificial helps, as it has soaked up some serious abuse.
    canoe bottom.jpg

Michael,
    Thanks for the info. Perhaps a laminated hardwood 1/4" "shoe on the keel would provide some extra protection. Tougher than softwood, once it wears down, plane it off and stick a new on on.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mules View Post
    Hi Mac, no fiberglass, except for at the outside seams. The entire construction was coated with epoxy inside and out, and all pieces epoxied together (no chines). And it has stood up to being heavily abused, being dragged over snags and rocks, bashed into submerged trees and bounced over logs and rapids. The keel being sacrificial helps, as it has soaked up some serious abuse.
    canoe bottom.jpg
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 04-08-2018 at 7:21 PM.