Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New grizzly g0766 lathe

Lowes may have one but they are 83 miles away and HD is 38 miles. I live in the sticks and the closest big towns are 1.5 hours away. HD is in Iron Mountain, MI, Lowes is in Marquette, MI so just about everything unusual we get is on line. I am having a male plug delivered by UPS on Tuesday.

In my garage (which is detached from my house, and is my shop) I have a dedicated circuit for 220v which was an old dryer plug when we were living above that garage during our home build. So I am converting that plug from 30a to 20a and a smaller size plug to match the 6-15. I am also using #12awg for this extension cord.

I have two garages one attached to the house and one unattached.

My electrical system is a little more complicated than most I installed 16 solar panels in 2012, and a wind generator in 2009 which are grid tied. All of these are fed thru the unattached garage and than this garage feeds the main house. I installed the solar panels myself so I am familiar with electrical work, I was also an electrician in the US Navy in 1962.

I wish we had more store near here but that's the disadvantage of having peace and quiet up here in the UP.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Robert, what other plug would you suggest Grizzly use? A NEMA 6-15 male plug is the correct plug for a receptacle serving a 15A, 240V circuit. It is quite standard. As you note, Grizzly specs 15A as the minimum circuit size for that lathe. The plug also fits (and is approved for) a NEMA 6-20 receptacle in a 20A, 240V circuit, probably what most of us use in our shops where we need 220-240V. I think the problem you ran into is trying to make up an extension cord with NEMA 6-15 plugs. I doubt there's much demand at HD and Lowes for 15A, 220-240V do-it-yourself extension cords. As Roger says, an electrical jobber supply will have the 15A plugs, but since you are using 12 AWG cable anyway, just make up a cord using NEMA 6-20 male and female plugs and plug your lathe into a NEMA 6-20r receptacle. HD stocks plenty of those plugs and receptacles. Have fun with the new lathe!

PASS & SEYMOUR L620P CONNECTOR, POWER ENTRY, PLUG, 20A there seem to be more of these out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Willing View Post
    I wish we had more store near here but that's the disadvantage of having peace and quiet up here in the UP.
    Well, that and bitter cold temps and waist deep snow!!

4. I have found that every 220 tool I buy has a different plug! I just put a new end on the machine to match the 220 plug I like to use in my shop. All of my tools have had new plugs put on them and now I have 4 220 machines with the twist lock 20 amp plugs. They are pricey but they are beefy and if I decide to move stuff around I can plug my compressor or dust collector in at different spots. I just by standard practice put in 20 amp double pole breakers with 12/2 romex to the outlet boxes..

Hi all. My first post on the forum, and I thought it was appropriate to do it here since I picked up my G0766 yesterday at UPS and got it set up and operating today. As far as getting the correct outlet, I got that at Home Depot, no problem. Lathe went together pretty easily but it was a bit chore getting all the pieces down to the basement. Got most of it myself after breaking it down into it’s major parts, and was able to set the motor and belt drive right down off of my truck into my trusty wheelbarrow. My wife helped to stabilize the one leg that did not want to stand up by itself, but other than that - no issues. Crate was perfect, machine looks good and runs well. Pretty quiet, but of course I have only run in for a few minutes. Lots of work left in the shop to put it back together after blowing it up to create a place for the lathe, but that was work I needed to do anyhow.
    Anyhow - good luck to all of you who either just got or have ordered this model. I think I am going to be very happy and I am sure you will be to.
    My new G0766.jpg

It's me chip