Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New grizzly g0766 lathe

New grizzly g0766 lathe

Upgraded froma crafstman to grizzly g0766, love it quiet, powerful, 22 bed height, forward-reverse, dial in speed, Anybody want a used lathe?
    It's me chip

2. Hey.......time to celebrate. Congrats Chip!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Chip, why not keep the Craftsman as a second lathe? Those grandkids are going to want to join you in the shop before too long.

My first lathe was a Craftsman 9" perhaps circa 1950. I haven't used it since I got my G0766. I'm in the same shoes as Chip, not sure exactly what to do with it.

I was just informed mine is ready for pickup from my local ups facility!

Quote Originally Posted by David Boardman View Post
    I was just informed mine is ready for pickup from my local ups facility!
    Make sure to bring something with you (ropes, boards, etc.) to keep the lathe from sliding around in the bed of your pickup truck. When I picked mine up from the UPS facility, it felt like I had been rear-ended the first time I touched the brakes. 600 plus pounds sliding 1-1/2 to 2 feet forward (or backward) has a lot of energy.

Good luck with your new lathe.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Make sure to bring something with you (ropes, boards, etc.) to keep the lathe from sliding around in the bed of your pickup truck. When I picked mine up from the UPS facility, it felt like I had been rear-ended the first time I touched the brakes. 600 plus pounds sliding 1-1/2 to 2 feet forward (or backward) has a lot of energy.

Good luck with your new lathe.
    Ratchet straps! Can't beat 'em for securing a load!

Just ordered one tonight.

Congrats Chip! Loving mine everyday. Brice I whole heartedly agree with Roger ratchet straps are Great.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

10. The only issue I had picking mine up is when I got to the ups facility there was only two employees and both were older ladies. They were nice but other than bringing it out of a truck on a lift they were no help. They wouldn't put it in the back of my truck because the ramp down to the ground level was wet. She dropped it about a foot from the edge of a truck gate and watched me push it over the edge the. Jump the 2.5 feet down to the bed of my truck and pull it until I could gentle set one end on my bed. The. I had to use a 2x4 for leverage to get the other side moving. Finally I just picked up the other end and pushed it into my bed and set it down. I probably have a hernia now but I didn't have a choice it was that or nothing. I had a helper to get it out of the truck so that wasn't too bad.

I have been looking hard at those lathes, I see 1 in my future I believe

Mine is due Wednesday next week. I bought a hydraulic lift table from Grizzly to help assembly go smother.

I wonder why Grizzly chose that type of electrical plug? Sure had a difficult time finding one at HD. I am going to need to use an extension cord, and plan on using 12awg rather than the 14awg recommended, but it sure is a chore finding the correct mating parts at HD. I finally had to order the male one from Amazon. It seem like there are others as capable but this plug combination seems to be out of place.

14. NEMA 6-15 plug. I got an outlet at Lowes for my lathe with no problems. Any electrical supply should have one as well. I actually got a 20 amp plug that will accommodate either a NEMA 6-15 or a NEMA 6-20 plug. I used 12/2 Romex with ground for my electrical hook up. A dedicated circuit from the sub-panel box for my shop.

Robert, what other plug would you suggest Grizzly use? A NEMA 6-15 male plug is the correct plug for a receptacle serving a 15A, 240V circuit. It is quite standard. As you note, Grizzly specs 15A as the minimum circuit size for that lathe. The plug also fits (and is approved for) a NEMA 6-20 receptacle in a 20A, 240V circuit, probably what most of us use in our shops where we need 220-240V. I think the problem you ran into is trying to make up an extension cord with NEMA 6-15 plugs. I doubt there's much demand at HD and Lowes for 15A, 220-240V do-it-yourself extension cords. As Roger says, an electrical jobber supply will have the 15A plugs, but since you are using 12 AWG cable anyway, just make up a cord using NEMA 6-20 male and female plugs and plug your lathe into a NEMA 6-20r receptacle. HD stocks plenty of those plugs and receptacles. Have fun with the new lathe!