Page 64 of 118 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

The good news is that all of the people who ask us to engrave some piddly little job for two bucks will probably buy a GF laser so they can do their own engraving AND hopefully engrave for all of their friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    The good news is that all of the people who ask us to engrave some piddly little job for two bucks will probably buy a GF laser so they can do their own engraving AND hopefully engrave for all of their friends.
    - or not -

Many of my customers thru the years have bought their own machines to cut out 'the middleman'. Some do it for convenience, most because they think they'll save money. The logic of paying an employee $30k a year to run a machine to save them the $5k a year they pay ME escapes me. But nearly every customer I've had who bought an engraving machine still has me do their engraving. I do engraving regularly for 2 engraving shops, because they take jobs they can't do, or don't want to do themselves. A few of my customers have their own C02 and fiber lasers who don't use them because they create more waste than profit...

-- and the people with the piddly jobs who call someone with a GF? Good chance they, or the GF owner will be calling YOU..
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

if in hours of run time they should last for ever considering for every 5 mins of engraving time they have to rest and cool off for 10 mins there life expectancy will be long LOL mostly waiting for it to cool down

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    It's where the term CD fits perfectly, anything that contradicts the closed world view of investing $2000+ in something that doesn't appear for 2 years has to be defended in the mind of the defender.

CD causes those folks to see anything negative as an attack on THEM rather than commentary on the subject hence act accordingly.

It actually concerns me that so many people can so easily be taken in with a few keywords and pretty thin promises when anybody with more than 6 months experience can see many of the claims don't stack up.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    It's where the term CD fits perfectly, anything that contradicts the closed world view of investing $2000+ in something that doesn't appear for 2 years has to be defended in the mind of the defender.

CD causes those folks to see anything negative as an attack on THEM rather than commentary on the subject hence act accordingly.

It actually concerns me that so many people can so easily be taken in with a few keywords and pretty thin promises when anybody with more than 6 months experience can see many of the claims don't stack up.
    And if I didn't know you were talking about GF, I'd think you were talking about politics. :-)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

now that's funny... but still, GF has a long way to go to catch up to politics-- at least it DOES do SOMETHING...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I thought this was interesting;

This guy lists the Glowforge as one of his tools in the description of his video.

Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

7. I received mine last week. As I have stated before I don't have any laser experience so I can't offer any comparisons on speed. I have only cut out 4 or 5 things, None of which took more than 20 minutes. The 20 min cut was this pencil holder from thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:52386

What I can say is that so far it has lived up to my expectations. I opened the box and had something cut by the machine in less than 20 minutes. Super easy to set up, super intuitive UI. I have cut several things both from the GF catalog and from thingiverse. Importing from thingiverse was simple and all I had to do was set the proper layers from cut to engrave.

I had one issue which involved a project I purchased from their store. The UI did not recognize that the file was loaded into the software for some reason. GF refunded the purchase, fixed the problem and reloaded it into my files within 24 hours. It worked fine the next time.

If anyone has anything they would like me to try I am more than willing to. I don't have an easy way to do video but I'm happy to reply back with the results.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I thought this was interesting;

This guy lists the Glowforge as one of his tools in the description of his video.

HA! maybe so but that is a NICE Universal he used for his map !!!! not a GF,.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I didn't see the description anywhere just the video nice UVLS he uses tho
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 09-03-2017 at 3:00 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    HA! maybe so but that is a NICE Universal he used for his map !!!! not a GF,.
    Really?!? I've been assured by GF experts that the ULS software is far too complex to be comprehended by mere mortals.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Then it's pure wonder I could engrave this on a Chinese laser.sandkort.jpg
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

What waiting for a glowforge will do to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiBWv4Uh494
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

"...don't know how much longer I can waaait, I think of all the things I can maaaake, I think of all things I can dooooo..."

I wish him well, and hope he makes all those things he's been dreaming of.

I have four of these darn contraptions, and no matter what I put in the things, they only make but one thing...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I'm now seeing some people reporting NoGlow NoForge, as theres broken tubes, damaged packaging, bent pins and other problems. I think maybe will will see a rise in users here wanting to know how to fix these things
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I'm now seeing some people reporting NoGlow NoForge, as theres broken tubes, damaged packaging, bent pins and other problems. I think maybe will will see a rise in users here wanting to know how to fix these things
    Tube is a YongLi and even they aren't happy about GF using their own PSU as it's unstable
    You did what !