Page 52 of 118 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette Brewer View Post
    I hate to butt in on this conversation but the three founders of Epilog Laser Corp. still drive to work at the factory every day -- with the exception of holidays & vacations, of course -- 29 years after they first opened the doors.
    The people that started businesses 29 years ago were very different than the typical startup today. Then, they wanted to create a business that produced a high quality product that they could be proud of, today they don't care what they produce as long as they can become million(billion)aires by any means possible.

Exactly right, that's why there's so much cheap Chinese junk on the market today, nobody wants to make a quality product in the USA and market it themselves. Just make a cheap product sell it quick to the Chinese and make your buck$ and run.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    The people that started businesses 29 years ago were very different than the typical startup today. Then, they wanted to create a business that produced a high quality product that they could be proud of, today they don't care what they produce as long as they can become million(billion)aires by any means possible.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Exactly right, that's why there's so much cheap Chinese junk on the market today, nobody wants to make a quality product in the USA and market it themselves. Just make a cheap product sell it quick to the Chinese and make your buck$ and run.
    I'd like to invoke the chicken or the egg debate, but in the context of the above price vs. quality I believe the answer has been provided by the American consumer. Loudly.

Walmart was founded ~55 yrs ago; Home Depot was founded ~39yrs ago. Take a look at their business models and convince yourself that consumers want quality over price. I suspect the products we buy have little, if anything, to do with who makes it or where. And quality?...That one on the bottom shelf is 2% cheaper. What a DEAL!!

Yes, some people will choose based on who, where, and how good. But rarely in enough numbers for a company to survive, let alone make the owner rich.

Kind of like GlowForge - - the market will decide if they succeed, not this thread.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-13-2017 at 3:53 PM.

Walmart and Home Depot is not about cheap goods, its about doing business on a smaller markup and less profit per item. The local lumber yards and mom and pop businesses did not fail because of cheap goods offered at either of those big box stores, in fact a lot of the same stuff they also sold. But instead of a 10 or 20 percent markup Walmart and HD had, they wanted or thought they needed a 50 to 100% markup. Customers gave up service for a lower priced same item off the shelf. The local businesses that survived learned to adapt, the rest went out of business.

GlowForge has nothing for the professionals on here, its aimed at the home DIY and home crafter. Think Hulu hoop but it will burn your house down instead.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Think Hulu hoop but it will burn your house down instead.
    Just​ couldn't resist. https//m.youtube.com/watch?v=RD7JYZ37P5g
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

6. Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    GF had revenue of about $45 million at one point last year. Some quick and dirty math could mean it's plausible that about 10,000 -13,000 machines were sold.
    10,000 - 13,000 ??

So where are they ? you can't hide that many machines with beta testers.
    John S.
    Nottingham UK.

Generic Chinese 500 x 300 laser with Laserworks V6.0_____ VCarve pro and Aspire._____ Techno Isel router 300 x 300
    Roland CAM 2200 drag engraver.____ Sieg KX1 CNC Mill.______ Sieg KX3 CNC Mill. _____ Plus loads of crap

Quote Originally Posted by John Stevenson View Post
    10,000 - 13,000 ??

So where are they ? you can't hide that many machines with beta testers.
    "Sold", not "shipped".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Why do I have visions of a giant warehouse somewhere in the SODO area of Seattle, ala the final scenes in Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom, filled with endless boxes of GlowForges! <grin>
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Yes sold NOT shipped
    Not shipped because there not made
    Not made because theres still to many problems with them to make them and ship them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    "Sold", not "shipped".
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

GF Basic machines are currently shipping, if anyone is interested. PRO and filter delays, though.

Here's the latest:

Now: Glowforge Basic deliveries underway.
    June 30: Glowforge Pro shipments start.
    September 30: Air Filter shipments start.
    October 31: All Basic and Pro orders placed by 10/26/2015 shipped.
    November 30: All Basic and Pro orders shipped.
    December 29: All Air Filters shipped.

Additional info:

https://community.glowforge.com/t/glowforge-shipments-underway-schedule-update-underway-and-more-june-17/8393

Flex video:

Last edited by Matt McCoy; 06-07-2017 at 5:15 PM.

Bob, from ILTMS:

If this is really true then I hope there is a "Glowforge" sub-forum here for all of the new owners seeking help, no use having them plug up this forum with what I predict to be a storm of questions.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-08-2017 at 10:11 AM.

If this is really true then I hope there is a "Glowforge" sub-forum here for all of the new owners seeking help, no use having them plug up this forum with what I predict to be a storm of questions.
    Why would there be questions? But I think Keith nixed the sub-Forum a long time ago.

And they said the GlowForge would never ship.... boy looks like a lot of people are wrong.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-08-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Why would there be questions?
    questions like:
    Can you recommend a good product liability attorney?
    Can you recommend a good carpet cleaner that removes smoke smell and soot?
    Can you recommend a good fire extinguisher?

[quote] But I think Keith nixed the sub-Forum a long time ago. [\quote]
    Too bad, I have a feeling the million and one Chinese laser questions will be lost in the billion and one Glowforge questions

And they said the GlowForge would never ship.... boy looks like a lot of people are wrong.
    I'm betting on a few shipping and then a bunch more delays. Seems to be their M.O.

Oh Gary, so cynical Did you watch the second video of the guy that makes things? You can clearly see the power of the machine. It knocked out a 3" x2" engraving in wood in an earth shattering 9 minutes! I'm not even sure if I could make any machine we own take that long if we tried. Who knew that it would make Chinese lasers look fast at rastering?

I am glad the people are finally getting what they paid for. I felt they would.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.