Page 32 of 118 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

What a joke. this is the pre-release so this doesn't work, that doesn't work, it's restricted in bed size, can't save custom parameters, blah, blah, blah. Just lost all respect for Adam. Oh, and 40 minutes to engrave that tiny little thing? seriously, how could anyone think that's ok?

yea 40 min holy molly and how they brag about how it will recognize what you put in and adjust and engrave accordingly . The conveniently left out the part that the camera only knows expensive glowforge only materials. and if you don't buy your materials from glowforge the machine won't have a clue as to whats in it and your on your own trying to figure out how to make it work LOL . yes what a joke.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm glad I don't have any money tied up in this debacle. Pre release is Not what they said would be shipping. Again, it is a handful of machines.only one has posted so far.... Yeah, 2020.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

And it doesn't stay in the lines like a little kid coloring a coloring book picture

I'm one of the few who've been willing to give this thing a chance, but sheesh, watching that thing run in real time was excruciating.

All the parts seem to fit nice. But for the life of me, I can't think of a single practical use I'd ever have for it--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

So the camera feature that I thought would be neat, is really unimpressive. It's a glorified scanner and vector trace. You can do a better job with Inkscape (free) and a $50 scanner. Also, why the heck are they impressed by the cutting? I'd be furious if that's how it cut. It cut a double line. That's simply unacceptable. If the software was actually impressive, it would have taken that double line and converted it to a single line and cut it out properly. Not to mention, 40 minutes to do that job!?!? Oof.

I have no skin in the game, but I'd recommend anyone that bought this and has to chance to get a refund, do it. This product is not a premium product or even remotely impressive. Create good vector files, buy good, flat laser friendly materials, and bring it to your local trophy/engraving shop and ask them to cut/engrave whatever you want. I promise you're better off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    You guys are really bitter aren't you?

Yes, pre-release units are shipping now, people are already receiving them. The shipping schedule is going to be released tomorrow (Friday of this week obviously).
    I feel badly that ignorant people are being taken advantage of. That machine is worth no more than $800. I can't even compare it to Harbor Freight quality because Harbor Freight tools perform relatively well. They just don't last and are lower tolerance/quality. This machine is low quality and a non-performer.
    Last edited by Ross Moshinsky; 12-01-2016 at 7:54 PM.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Actually I have had good luck with some Harbor Freight tools and machines. At least when you get something there you know your not buying the best.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Harbor Freight

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Actually I have had good luck with some Harbor Freight tools and machines. At least when you get something there you know your not buying the best.
    I love harbor freight. You just have know what to buy. If you are a hobby person then harbor freight is great. But if you are going to use the tools every day then probably not the best place to buy your tools

But in general they are great bargains for the weekend warrior/
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

9. Aaaaand there it is.

http://community.glowforge.com/t/schedule-update/3657

We let you down and we're not going to make our schedule. Depending on your order date, your Glowforge will arrive between March and August.

You deserve better. We are heartbroken to disappoint you.

He never said March and August of this year just March and August

I'll say it again, I'd love to by a fly on the wall in their office. I have a distinct feeling it's more of a hang out place and less of a work environment.

The owners feel no real pressure. People in business feel pressure because they need money. These guys have more than enough of it so they don't feel the pressure.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Hate to say it, but I was wrong. I'm cancelling my Glowforge order. Any suggestions on alternatives? Preferably with at least a decent software experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    Hate to say it, but I was wrong. I'm cancelling my Glowforge order. Any suggestions on alternatives? Preferably with at least a decent software experience?
    The cheapest piece of crap on ebay would at least arrive sometime in this decade so you would be way ahead of the game. Other than the ebay junk that will cost you next to nothing, or the premium product that will cost you 10's of thousands (Trotec, ULS, etc.), the rest of the Chinese machines are all about the same. You'll get better support from some and maybe slightly better components from some, but they are still Chinese made machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel P. Jones View Post
    And one of the best parts of that update:
    "The optical system in your Glowforge gets perfectly calibrated at the factory by technicians using state-of-the-art optical equipment. It’s then locked in place, and never requires adjustment.But again, we want to be thorough in our design, so we’ve developed a unique sensor that detects if your laser goes out of alignment or is blocked by an obstruction. In the unlikely event that should happen, your Glowforge will stop and let you know that it’s in need of factory repair."

There are so many things wrong with this that I can't even really begin to express how ridiculous this "feature" truly is.
    Perfectly calibrated - sure, right up until UPS drops the laser off their truck
    never requires adjustment - anyone who has had a laser more than about 15 minutes knows this is a huge lie.
    Your Glowforge will stop - do you think that will happen at the end of a job or right in the middle of those 100 ornaments you are making for your family Christmas tree?
    factory repair - and how much do you think that will cost? Shipping alone will be a good chunk, you saved your original shipping box, right?

Jason, I am very impressed with my new Ray Fine fiber, and I had a GWeike also that was fine.... after I fixed a couple issues.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10