Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge release

So do you pay In Advance or not? It looks like on the Kickstarter site, your just Pledging to pay.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-20-2015 at 10:18 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    So do you pay In Advance or not? It looks like on the Kickstarter site, your just Pledging to pay.
    On Kickstarter you are charged immediately when the campaign ends, if it meets its goal.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clague View Post
    If its a "pre-order" via a companies website then they are legally bound to abide by commerce law and fulfill there proposed outcome for the funds
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Unless it's an LLC or Ltd then they can just fold the company
    Well, I don't know many embezzlers that would much care about any laws they're supposed to abide by, or what type of company's involved
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Well, I don't know many embezzlers that would much care about any laws they're supposed to abide by, or what type of company's involved
    IF they have good attorneys in a corporation the company can be bankrupt and the principles can pay themselves salaries, bonus and expenses or hide the money. I don't know how a LLC works but I suspect its about the same.

My other thought for the day... is Sawmill Creek Engravers Forum going to a have a sub forum or a separate forum for GlowForge users? Thought #2 I see a money making opportunity for GlowForge 3D Laser service company.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-21-2015 at 4:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    IF they have good attorneys in a corporation the company can be bankrupt and the principles can pay themselves salaries, bonus and expenses or hide the money. I don't know how a LLC works but I suspect its about the same.

My other thought for the day... is Sawmill Creek Engravers Forum going to a have a sub forum or a separate forum for GlowForge users? Thought #2 I see a money making opportunity for GlowForge 3D Laser service company.

I see a bigger money maker in recycling the plastic cases as they pile up in the landfills.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

PLEASE let's not add a subforum for Glowforge. Then it'll be a Trotec forum, and Epilog forum, a Shenhui forum... all that does is split up the group and perpetuate the 'chevy sucks-ford sucks' mentality. Proof of this is the fact that 90%+ of those on this board are already on the 'glowforge sucks' bandwagon, even though 0% of us have any experience with them! And when you start splitting up forums by brand, a lot of good advice can go unseen (or un-given) because nobody is going to read thru every 'owner' forum.

Simpler solution is, if you don't want to read 'Glowforge' posts, don't.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

There will never be a forum dedicated to any laser manufacturer here, if they need one they can start their own.

We do have a groups service here, you will find various groups that have been started by our Community Members for a wide variety of companies and products. On the blue menu bar click on "Community" and then click "Groups" from the drop down list.

8. Exclamation Glowforge Status Update via GeekWire

When they launched their pre-order campaign, they simply said "Shipping in December." Here's a screenshot of the order page from that time as proof.

However, as of February 11, zero Glowforge laser cutters have been shipped, according to the CEO quoted in this article. However, they are still claiming that they will ship all of the units ordered during the original 30-day preorder campaign by the end of June. I'm guessing that is around 10,000 units based on their $28M raised. And yes, that is money that was fully pre-paid, not just "pledged."

It is pretty disengenuous to call what they ran a "crowdfunding campaign." It was no such thing. The company was fully funded with $9 million in venture capital. They ran a simple pre-order offer, but that doesn't sound as sexy as "crowdfunding campaign," just like "laser cutter and engraver" doesn't sound as sexy as "3D laser printer." After the original 30-day "campaign" ended, the price only went up 20 percent, still nowhere near the alleged "MSRP."
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-18-2016 at 8:14 PM.

So you joined just so you could post this press release to help quell any (more) rumors?

10. I've been following along lurking for quite some time. I just hadn't seen anyone else post this so I thought I would share it since it's directly relevant to the conversation. I'm not sure that the semi-dodgy quotes from the CEO are likely to "quell any (more) rumors," though. Even over on the official Glowforge community pages there seems to be more questions than answers.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-18-2016 at 8:15 PM.

Just saw this posted:

geekwire.com/2016/raising-28m-record-crowdfunding-campaign-glowforge-delays-initial-shipments/

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-18-2016 at 8:16 PM.
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

I'll say this, the buyers of this product are WAY more patient than I would be. I picture these guys in a fancy Silicone Valley office making Silicone Valley minimum wage (80-100k a year) and not getting much done. I find it crazy that with their resources ($28m in pre-order money + $9m in VC funding), they can't even manage to get a working prototype at this point. My guess is their price point can't deliver the quality required to sell their more innovative ideas. If I had to guess, they figured each machine would cost $1000 to manufacture and the reality is, to get everything working, they costs are $1800-2000.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Generally when a new idea comes along the software development will drain any budget in a matter of seconds. They are always over optimistic on real costs and timescales.
    Would be nice to see a real one functioning on a continuous basis to see the camera returning real world useable performance.
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Blog Entries
    Steve! That is an easy desire to deal with. Just don't buy one until it has some track record to go on. Stay off of the bleeding edge!

I hope you aren't considering selling off your Speedy 300 for a glowforge??? (teasing grin)

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

no not selling, but I might get a gf to prop that wobbly table leg
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition