Page 87 of 118 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    ...tell me how that differs from the ULS implementation I described, except...
    Your argument is null and void, when you use the word except.

So the "uP" GF refers to is, what, duct-taped to the inside of the cover? Pick a story and stick to it.
    Not a traditional control board. If you want to debate semantics and tell them that they are wrong, here's a link to get started:

http://community.glowforge.com/t/skydog/1668/22

Here's an excerpt:

"The glowforge does not have a motion controller onboard
    How does it move then? It may not have motion planning, but it must have stepper control of some kind inside. I can't imagine it solely has an h-bridge being controlled over the internet. Stepper control etc must be local, otherwise network latency would cause total havoc...

karaelenaRegular

Traditional motion controllers (GRBL, TinyG, Smoothie, Marlin, LinuxCNC (or MachineKit) & Mach3 all have the ability to output stepgen pulses required to move the steppers (specifically to tell the stepper drivers which direction and how long). The glowforge does not have this. The Glowforge 'cloud' create these and outputs a waveform in which the glowforge 'plays' locally."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Correct, real time motion control would be next to impossible with the controller off premises. I do not think that could even be implemented if the wireless feed was in the next room let alone over the real internet. Anyone who has worked with, repaired or built CNC knows it depends on constantly knowing where the carriage, milling head or laser is at and sending reliable feedback to the controller. Yes I know steppers do not have feedback, but it depends on knowing the last command was received.
    Right. Steppers do not have feedback. It's open loop. Check out that link above.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    I agree.

The GFs hardware buffer contains the motion planning (performed in the cloud) which the onboard motion controller then does it's thing. The "uP" is the motion controller.
    There is no traditional onboard controller.
    Last edited by Matt McCoy; 11-05-2017 at 3:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Here's an excerpt:

"The glowforge does not have a motion controller onboard
    How does it move then? It may not have motion planning, but it must have stepper control of some kind inside. I can't imagine it solely has an h-bridge being controlled over the internet. Stepper control etc must be local, otherwise network latency would cause total havoc...

Traditional motion controllers (GRBL, TinyG, Smoothie, Marlin, LinuxCNC (or MachineKit) & Mach3 all have the ability to output stepgen pulses required to move the steppers (specifically to tell the stepper drivers which direction and how long). The glowforge does not have this. The Glowforge 'cloud' create these and outputs a waveform in which the glowforge 'plays' locally."
    You do realize that the two paragraphs you quoted contradict each other, right?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    You do realize that the two paragraphs you quoted contradict each other, right?
    You might need to read the thread to understand the context.

Matt, you win I have better things to do.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

WOW 2 days with out having to argue with Matt, guess everybody has better things to do LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Someone has posted a Glowforge on Ebay for $10,000. Better hurry only 2 days left! ROFL
    Epilog Lasers

I think we need to start a new thread just for all the problems that the people that got their Glowforges are having. Can't use the whole bed, takes hours to calibrate, can't engrave large files without breaking them down, server is down, takes hours to engrave items, camera does scan correctly and can't through cut what they sell as Proof grade at high prices. There are more problems but you get the idea.

I mase an offer of 10 for it
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I think we need to start a new thread just for all the problems that the people that got their Glowforges are having. Can't use the whole bed, takes hours to calibrate, can't engrave large files without breaking them down, server is down, takes hours to engrave items, camera does scan correctly and can't through cut what they sell as Proof grade at high prices. There are more problems but you get the idea.
    Probably confirmation bias, on your part.

I suppose you could start another thread, if you like.There's already a Problems and Support forum over at GF. I clicked this last quarter, when most of the shipping has happened, and then sorted the most viewed threads. There doesn't appear to be one thread from that forum on the first page. The most popular threads are from the Made on a Glowforge forum. The FB group seems to have received the machine pretty well too.

The FB group seems to have received the machine pretty well too.
    Just the opposite in many cases Matt, a lot of first time users are making the mistake of comparing the GF to nothing else.

Even the worst machine tool in the world will seem better than no machine tool at all
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Probably confirmation bias, on your part.

I suppose you could start another thread, if you like.There's already a Problems and Support forum over at GF. I clicked this last quarter, when most of the shipping has happened, and then sorted the most viewed threads. There doesn't appear to be one thread from that forum on the first page. The most popular threads are from the Made on a Glowforge forum. The FB group seems to have received the machine pretty well too.
    I see there are hundreds of posts in the Problems and support forum and a lot of them are closed before they are addressed

Glowforge forums are heavily moderated, makes the CIA look like an open group.
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

I see there are hundreds of posts in the Problems and support forum and a lot of them are closed before they are addressed
    In all fairness to GF, that's the method they use for one leg of their support. You can email them OR post it in the support section. If you post it in the support section, they lock it when it's been logged into their support system. It's not locked because they don't want people posting, it's because it's how they setup the support forum. Post, when we see it, we'll acknowledge it by locking it. Makes it look like they just lock anything with a problem, but that's not the case at all.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Locking and removing unwanted Threads make it look like Everyone is Happy!! I suppose someone will start a Forum like the other not popular co2 engraving machine had, where un-happy owners could go to complain. I swear Matt is being paid to act as a GF advocate on this Board.
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-15-2017 at 8:58 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I don't agree with that and don't see it to be true. It's also why I sorted by views, which can't be locked. See previous post. Also, GF doesn't have admin of the FB group where the general consensus seems to be that they are happy with their purchase and enjoy making cool things.

GF just moved the counter to indicate that they are shipping day 30 of the the 30-day campaign Pro units, which were the most popular. Posts have indicated that the ship dates for some have moved up, in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    In all fairness to GF, that's the method they use for one leg of their support. You can email them OR post it in the support section. If you post it in the support section, they lock it when it's been logged into their support system. It's not locked because they don't want people posting, it's because it's how they setup the support forum. Post, when we see it, we'll acknowledge it by locking it. Makes it look like they just lock anything with a problem, but that's not the case at all.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Locking and removing unwanted Threads make it look like Everyone is Happy!! I suppose someone will start a Forum like the other not popular co2 engraving machine had, where un-happy owners could go to complain. I swear Matt is being paid to act as a GF advocate on this Board.
    Well, of course, you have no proof of this and I don't even recall an owner claiming that a thread has been removed or censored. This is a provacative tin-foil hat theory that you just made up. No matter how many times you repeat that, it will not make it true, only repeatedly wrong. You have no interest in being correct, only right.

If you have a beef with GF's marketing hype or name, but OK with creating falsities, you might need to consider the hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Matt McCoy; 11-15-2017 at 12:54 PM.