Page 85 of 118 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

Blog Entries
    Michael, don't forget the main software engineer quit a couple of months ago. He got out before the xxxx hits the fan. And Yes, I've noticed a comment that "complaint here is same as reporting to CS directly" so their CS is finding issues, closing threads and trying then to mop up the issue.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I've just read the thread on pricing. It seems most people are ignorant of the fact that speed matters.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    I've just read the thread on pricing. It seems most people are ignorant of the fact that speed matters.
    It's to bad that the forum is locked to anybody that hasn't bought a Glowforge and the ones that canceled their order. There are a lot of people that could help out but can comment.

3D Printer for example, totally false and misleading more like an out right LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    For example?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Found with a Google Matt your not trying hard enough....> https://community.glowforge.com/t/re...-offline/13894

And another > https://community.glowforge.com/t/re...n-issues/13807

Yet again on the reason why the Cloud is better, it saves all the computing time and waiting time!!! LOL > https://community.glowforge.com/t/ca...connection/701

Seems as people report issues the Threads are closed after some discussion as soon as the Moderator finds it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Seems as people report issues the Threads are closed after some discussion as soon as the Moderator finds it.
    I noticed that also no real CS as to how to fix problems unless it comes from other members. I did see one person post this for how much to charge
    Looks to me that the threads are closed after staff sees them and has reported that the issue is fixed, especially under the Problems & SUPPORT forum. Seems like real CS support. Also, you contradict yourself by advocating (see quote below) to allow forum members to help out with CS issues while pointing out that GF has no real support, unless it comes from other GF forum members.

Sure has a lot of problems for something that was supposed to be as easy to use as a normal printer.......
    What have they been doing these past two years - waiting to earn interest on the money they raked in? I can't believe the software isn't sorted out yet.
    Building and trying to ship product. Looks like they're shipping day 24/29 (basic/Pro) of their 30 day campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Michael, don't forget the main software engineer quit a couple of months ago. He got out before the xxxx hits the fan. And Yes, I've noticed a comment that "complaint here is same as reporting to CS directly" so their CS is finding issues, closing threads and trying then to mop up the issue.
    Well, one of the founders. I think it already hit the fan, so...

It was mentioned that he was interested in designing/building products, but not so much in day-to-day fulfillment. It was probably a drag to be a punching bag, and time to move on.

Is that on GF or the consumer?

It's to bad that the forum is locked to anybody that hasn't bought a Glowforge and the ones that canceled their order. There are a lot of people that could help out but can comment.
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    3D Printer for example, totally false and misleading more like an out right LIE
    So, for context, the original question was addressed to the comment about getting annoyed at GF because a customer bought one to "potentially" start or expand a business. My response was why get annoyed at GF, when they clearly market it as a hobby machine for the home? Some lost their minds that they did just that, while LOTS of hobbiests are using eBay lasers at home right now and there are quite a few SMC'ers stuffing garages and basements with lasers and chemicals. But I digress.

So the retorts were standard-issue, drive-by responses (although off the discussion) about false advertising from GF and how they are liars and thieves. If, while reading that last line, you think to yourself, "but the shipping", know that we do agree on something. We might diverge on intent, though, as I do not think anything was purposefully malicious. They're in crisis-mode trying to fulfill orders to customers. They should be held accountable. However, when you boo GF and hope they fail, for no other reason other than you just don't like it, that's your prerogative. But you might consider what the consequences are if they do fail. Folks get shafted and the laser start-up gets harder. Where's the satisfaction with that?

It looks to me that they are taking the heat and delivering machines that their customers are excited about.

Matt says, It looks to me that they are taking the heat and delivering machines that their customers are excited about.

Delivering machines that would work as advertised would also be nice. They may be taking heat, but smiling all the way to the bank. The principles will take out money and leave. The rest are left to deal with the angry villagers who will come with flaming torches.
    The Threads are closed to prevent further damaging comments by owners.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Looks to me that the threads are closed after staff sees them and has reported that the issue is fixed, especially under the Problems & SUPPORT forum. Seems like real CS support. Also, you contradict yourself by advocating (see quote below) to allow forum members to help out with CS issues while pointing out that GF has no real support, unless it comes from other GF forum members.

I see that some of the problems are not fixed but they are locked even the forum members are not happy with that.

Building and trying to ship product. Looks like they're shipping day 24/29 (basic/Pro) of their 30 day campaign.

They are sending out emails not shipping you get an email and have to wait 3 to 6 weeks before they ship

Well, one of the founders. I think it already hit the fan, so...

It was mentioned that he was interested in designing/building products, but not so much in day-to-day fulfillment. It was probably a drag to be a punching bag, and time to move on.

Or did he jump ship when he realized that there was a problem with the software. It looks like there are a lot of updates that try to fix problems but cause other problems.

Is that on GF or the consumer?

When the main man is commenting it is a GF thing

See above.

so on other forums everybody is locked out that may have some good advice

So, for context, the original question was addressed to the comment about getting annoyed at GF because a customer bought one to "potentially" start or expand a business. My response was why get annoyed at GF, when they clearly market it as a hobby machine for the home? Some lost their minds that they did just that, while LOTS of hobbiests are using eBay lasers at home right now and there are quite a few SMC'ers stuffing garages and basements with lasers and chemicals. But I digress.

So the retorts were standard-issue, drive-by responses (although off the discussion) about false advertising from GF and how they are liars and thieves. If, while reading that last line, you think to yourself, "but the shipping", know that we do agree on something. We might diverge on intent, though, as I do not think anything was purposefully malicious. They're in crisis-mode trying to fulfill orders to customers. They should be held accountable. However, when you boo GF and hope they fail, for no other reason other than you just don't like it, that's your prerogative. But you might consider what the consequences are if they do fail. Folks get shafted and the laser start-up gets harder. Where's the satisfaction with that?

It looks to me that they are taking the heat and delivering machines that their customers are excited about.

If the founder is commenting on pricing then they are assuming that these are more than a hobby machine

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Matt says, It looks to me that they are taking the heat and delivering machines that their customers are excited about.

Delivering machines that would work as advertised would also be nice. They may be taking heat, but smiling all the way to the bank. The principles will take out money and leave. The rest are left to deal with the angry villagers who will come with flaming torches.
    The Threads are closed to prevent further damaging comments by owners.
    I'm not sure if you've read the threads you mention or if your opinion is just based on paraphrasing seen here, but I'm sure you know that some will have issues, which seem to have been resolved fairly quickly via a cloud update. If you only seek and read instances where someone has trouble, I can see where this biased opinion comes from, though.

Keep in mind that they seem to be close to delivering the units from the 30 day campaign, so there may not be many angry villagers left to worry about. I don't see the conspiracy theory where threads are closed to silence dissenters. In both of your links provided, the issues were resolved and the tickets were closed. Here are some quotes from the OPs: "Exactly, no problems recently until this." and "Thank you for the reply. I’ll not be able to test on my GF until tomorrow night thanks to work. If anything crops up I’ll start a new thread." That was three days ago.

I think there's a stereotype painted by some on SMC of GF owners. Here's the bio from that last OP: "A rocket scientist working Manned Space Flight for over 30 years. Looking for the GF to do whatever strikes my fancy."

If the founder is commenting on pricing then they are assuming that these are more than a hobby machine
    Don't know, but I would think he's supporting his customers with whatever they want to use the machine for -- free market, free will, and all that. If you're implying that these are pitched as money-making business machines to quit your day job, then you are incorrect, for the reasons I have already mentioned.

Don't know, but I would think he's supporting his customers with whatever they want to hear.
    There, fixed it for you

I think there's a stereotype painted by some on SMC of GF owners. Here's the bio from that last OP: "A rocket scientist working Manned Space Flight for over 30 years. Looking for the GF to do whatever strikes my fancy."
    Substitute "submarines" for "Manned Space Flight" and "ULS" for "GF" and that's me in 2005.

That said, the stereotype you speak of originated with GF fanboys right here on SMC, claiming that the GF wasn't intended for tech-savvy users who understood how to use graphics software and complex tools. I was told multiple times that I "just didn't get it" or had "forgotten how steep the learning curve was"...in other words, because I actually had experience with lasers, I was unqualified to understand the sublime brilliance of the GF concept. I certainly haven't seen anything in GF's marketing to contradict that view.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Substitute "submarines" for "Manned Space Flight" and "ULS" for "GF" and that's me in 2005.

That said, the stereotype you speak of originated with GF fanboys right here on SMC, claiming that the GF wasn't intended for tech-savvy users who understood how to use graphics software and complex tools. I was told multiple times that I "just didn't get it" or had "forgotten how steep the learning curve was"...in other words, because I actually had experience with lasers, I was unqualified to understand the sublime brilliance of the GF concept. I certainly haven't seen anything in GF's marketing to contradict that view.
    I would like to hear some of your submarine stories in one of the other forums.

In all fairness, you have said that cloud motion-control was not possible and used the term vaporware many times. I wonder if your opinion has changed?

There, fixed it for you
    Oh, I like a sassy retort as much as the next guy, but if you don't have anything to add, it's OK to just say you got nothing.

If they are having problems with their cloud based software now wait till they have 10,000 units trying to have stuffed rendered. Maybe they could call it clogged based

Oh, I like a sassy retort as much as the next guy, but if you don't have anything to add, it's OK to just say you got nothing.
    Ditto Matt

If they are having problems with their cloud based software now wait till they have 10,000 units trying to have stuffed rendered. Maybe they could call it clogged based
    I do not think anyone needs to be concerned about that happening. By then the villagers would have stormed the castle. The questions then will come in, how can I make my GlowForge work with standard off the shelf software? I mean it has to have standard off the shelf stepper motors, power supplies CO2 glass tubes and driver cards. Just need to change out that controller.

Oh, I forgot the reason for the "cloud" is because the run of the mill laptop can not run a powerful machine like the GF. It would take way to long to process those large files and run.

Yes Matt I read all those posts.
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-04-2017 at 4:23 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10