Page 79 of 118 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

Please Help

New Kickstarter please invest.

I'm in the design stage of an all new and innovative moving vehicle.
    This vehicle has ground breaking technology. It will have round wheels that have no air in them. Instead of air they will be filled with a secret formula unlike any other.
    The wheels themselves are made from a composite thats still being tested but I can tell you now the mileage you get will be astounding.Right now were getting 1000 miles of tire life, but with further testing I know we will get much much more.This is going to take time to develop and we need your money now, so that more testing and design modifications can be done. We don't want to send you a product you won't be happy with.

Another completely new feature were trying to developed is a rear facing camera with an overhead viewer mounted in the cockpit area so when your vehicle is going backwards you don't hit anything. This is a completely new idea in vehicle safety and were spending 10's of millions of dollars in research and development to bring this feature to a reality.

This vehicle will have a closed loop cooling system with no radiator. This will save millions in the cost of building it as radiators are very expensive, the draw back here is you have to stop every 15 miles to let the vehicle cool down before proceeding, but I think the overall cost reduction will make this something you can put up with.
    So please open your wallets and donate generously. We plan to start delivery of your awesome new vehicle in May of 2030. I promise you it will be worth the wait
    I will keep updating you at least once in a while like maybe every year or 2, so you know how were coming along and you don't get frustrated waiting.
    All the best
    BSS.

Bert
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    likely with a price tag in the $500-$2000 range.
    My girlfriend is an established artist showing in respected galleries. Typical artist/gallery relationship is 50/50. So wherever this conversation goes, the artist is getting half of the selling price.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Blog Entries
    Say he sells for $2k, maybe $10 per hour, not too good. And even doubling that it's only $20 an hour.
    Oh, As I expected they are making money on the proof grade materials. I can get a really good 5mm birch ply for $27 with tax a 4x8 sheet which works out to $1.70 per GF size piece and leave over $9 for the bar code label.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Bert, you forgot the all important "get you friend to order one and we will give you a $100 discount" bit. Will it need WI-FI?
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Say he sells for $2k, maybe $10 per hour, not too good. And even doubling that it's only $20 an hour.
    The economic factors that go into being a professional artist don't make sense to me either, but my point was that judging them using the economics of running an engraving business is meaningless. From all appearances, we're not talking about a guy who thinks buying a GF is going to let him retire at 30.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

He could however have bought any other laser and started saving up for his retirement two years ago.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    ...judging them using the economics of running an engraving business is meaningless...
    Yes. ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I buy BB 1/8th" that size under 3$
    I get that much 1/8" (3mm) B/BB BB for $1.
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 10-19-2017 at 8:56 PM.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

>>After 100 hours of design (which was previously done before I got the GF)…<<

My first thought when I read that was, "Well, don't complain. At least you had something to keep you busy for part of the two years you had waiting for your machine to arrive..."
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    He could however have bought any other laser and started saving up for his retirement two years ago.
    No, he could have bought any other laser and made this particular piece of artwork two years ago. You seem to be assuming his shiny new laser is the only thing he uses to produce art and he's been sitting on his thumb waiting for the GF to kickstart his career. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is...but looking at that piece, I kind of doubt it.

Hint: the fact that he bought a POS GF instead of a ULS/Epilog/Trotec/Rabbit/whatever is completely irrelevant to this discussion.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I for one ain't assuming nothing about our new artist, or artists in general, but since he did use engraving business machinery to create his art, I'd like to think the comparison is a bit closer to say, lemons and oranges?

-and regardless of whether he used a laser beam or a dentist's pick and a sledgehammer to make his work of art- and really, it is pretty cool- hours are hours, time IS in fact money, and there's no slowing down the clock!

And my final word on 'art'- this all reminds me of when our youngest kid thought he was going to be the next Trent Reznor because he could make really cool music on my computer with one of those free music maker things. I really burst his bubble when I asked him:
    "so, who's going to pay you to listen to this music when they can make it themselves on their computer?"
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

A very nice piece of art, not something i would hang on my wall but very nice all the same.

The fact it was done on a GF is academic and a bit of a disassociation. He's clearly a talented and gifted chap but there is nothing that would support the use of a GF laser in what he is doing.

What it will do is reinforce the idea that everybody who has a GF on order will become artists or money makers just by buying one. Given the umber of people I've seen posting pictures of unsellable widgets believing they have the foundation of a self supporting business there are going to be a lot of unhappy buyers in the near future.

A laser is NOT Kelton-D Cylinder press that prints dollar bills, that's where the confusion lays.....buying even a huge 10+ kW CO2 will not make money unless you have something marketable to make with it. I have a $5,000 laser that is currently next to me that is in front of a $1,000,000+ laser. On any given day the $5,000 laser will often generate more hard income than the $1mil + machine. it all depends what the work schedule is and what has to go through the works on any given day.

I could cut much of the stuff I do with a scroll saw or handsaw given enough time, it all comes down to ROT, Return On Time.....

Taking in depreciation, maintenance, initial purchase price and general wear and tear, the machine out of all of mine that has made me the most hard currency over time cost me under $10,000 to buy. Simply because no matter how badly I treat it, how much lack of care it receives and whatever goes wrong with it...it keeps banging out hard currency every day. It's 8 years old, other than tubes has cost me under $500 in those 8 years to keep running. The big Mitsu costs me $1,500 for a lens cartridge on a frighteningly regular basis.it will cut the sheets I need to at 15% less speed than any other laser I have yet costs 1 50/th of what they cost to run.

GF is slow, innacurate (placement is currently 1/4 inch out on the lid camera) has limited filter life and a tube that will last about 18 months at best all backed up by an operating system that goes down if the internet crashes out (which it does here in West Wales on a regular basis) Any kind of minimal fire is going to write the machine off in pretty short order (it has a LOT of plastic in it) and at the moment I couldn't buy one even if I wanted to as UK / EU border control would seize and crush the thing as it doesn't have required documentation.

Short version?

Kev hit the mark in five words

"time IS in fact money"
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    A very nice piece of art, not something i would hang on my wall but very nice all the same.

The fact it was done on a GF is academic and a bit of a disassociation. He's clearly a talented and gifted chap but there is nothing that would support the use of a GF laser in what he is doing.

What it will do is reinforce the idea that everybody who has a GF on order will become artists or money makers just by buying one. Given the umber of people I've seen posting pictures of unsellable widgets believing they have the foundation of a self supporting business there are going to be a lot of unhappy buyers in the near future.

A laser is NOT Kelton-D Cylinder press that prints dollar bills, that's where the confusion lays.....buying even a huge 10+ kW CO2 will not make money unless you have something marketable to make with it. I have a $5,000 laser that is currently next to me that is in front of a $1,000,000+ laser. On any given day the $5,000 laser will often generate more hard income than the $1mil + machine. it all depends what the work schedule is and what has to go through the works on any given day.

I could cut much of the stuff I do with a scroll saw or handsaw given enough time, it all comes down to ROT, Return On Time.....

Taking in depreciation, maintenance, initial purchase price and general wear and tear, the machine out of all of mine that has made me the most hard currency over time cost me under $10,000 to buy. Simply because no matter how badly I treat it, how much lack of care it receives and whatever goes wrong with it...it keeps banging out hard currency every day. It's 8 years old, other than tubes has cost me under $500 in those 8 years to keep running. The big Mitsu costs me $1,500 for a lens cartridge on a frighteningly regular basis.it will cut the sheets I need to at 15% less speed than any other laser I have yet costs 1 50/th of what they cost to run.

GF is slow, innacurate (placement is currently 1/4 inch out on the lid camera) has limited filter life and a tube that will last about 18 months at best all backed up by an operating system that goes down if the internet crashes out (which it does here in West Wales on a regular basis) Any kind of minimal fire is going to write the machine off in pretty short order (it has a LOT of plastic in it) and at the moment I couldn't buy one even if I wanted to as UK / EU border control would seize and crush the thing as it doesn't have required documentation.

Short version?

Kev hit the mark in five words

"time IS in fact money"
    Time is > money... If you spend a $1 you can simply earn another, if you “spend” a minute, it’s gone. Therefore, time is greater than money.

And remember that Glowforge does not import DXF's

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I for one ain't assuming nothing about our new artist, or artists in general, but since he did use engraving business machinery to create his art...
    This assumes he's a new artist and that he's using engraving business machinery. Neither is necessarily true, since he mentions making laser-cut art pieces before and a laser can be used for other things besides making name tags. The latter gets lost here in an engraver's forum. The engraving business model does not apply to the business of art, so back-of-matchbook dirty math won't compute, I'm afraid. I think the artist mentioned the gallery might show his piece at $2,000 - $3,000, but you can double-check that. As someone that has owned an art gallery, I've seen artists make $15,000 - $20,000 at modest shows.

...Trent Reznor because he could make really cool music on my computer with one of those free music maker things. I really burst his bubble when I asked him:
    "so, who's going to pay you to listen to this music when they can make it themselves on their computer?"
    That's what Trent Reznor's dad said too. He now has more money than the Pope.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    ...The fact it was done on a GF is academic...
    I disagree. It's practical. He made a thing on a GF and potentiality found a market for it.

GF is slow...
    I don't know how fast a GF will cut, but SMC conventional wisdom says that Chinese machines generally cut at about the same speed as comparable RF machines, which pull away with engraving. Is that correct?