Page 71 of 118 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1768

Thread: Glowforge release

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    The word innovative is not in my post you quoted. That is your creation.
    Would you prefer "new"? "Groundbreaking" maybe?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    Kev, do those figures have the refunds subtracted? I think a fair few have asked for refunds as they grew tired of waiting.
    No clue, I just have this stupid quirk where I like to figure out averages and statistical stuff... The $45M figure was from Sept. of last year, just guessed at plus $5M more, but for sure it could be less! And the R&D figures are from 2013 I just now notice...

Pop quiz, who WAS the top R&D spender of 2013? -Probably not who you think
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

It looks like they're now "shipping" Day 14 of the 30 day campaign, if you want in though.

Interesting.....from an update on GF's site Feb 25, 2016, it was said "We’re currently shipping US Basic orders placed on Day 14".

That was 20 months ago.

Don't believe your own eyes, believe what I tell you to believe, I guess?????

Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Would you prefer "new"? "Groundbreaking" maybe?
    Not sure what your point is here, but things can indeed be new and proprietary, as it applies to this conversation of patents.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Interesting.....from an update on GF's site Feb 25, 2016, it was said "We’re currently shipping US Basic orders placed on Day 14".

That was 20 months ago.

You misunderstand. At the top of their website is a banner with the latest shipping info that states:

"Glowforge® Deliveries: Latest Schedule
    30-Day Campaign: We’re currently shipping US Basic orders placed on Day 14 and US Pro orders placed on Day 6. We’ll email you shortly with a shipping update - this update has details."

Link to the announcement, please.

So if I am following all this... they are shipping orders placed 2 years ago, on Day 14 and Day 6? Two years ago. Reading some of the user comments, they are discussing on how to import a vector and BMP in the same file so it can be cut out. So GF does not recognize colors for layering? Pretty basic for any Chinese machine software I have used, and of course my ULS.
    Last edited by Bill George; 10-10-2017 at 5:43 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Not sure what your point is here, but things can indeed be new and proprietary, as it applies to this conversation of patents.
    I think you are (willfully?) missing my point: "proprietary" does not imply "new". For that matter, it doesn't imply "patentable" either.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

I think you are (willfully?) missing my point: "proprietary" does not imply "new". For that matter, it doesn't imply "patentable" either.
    Sorry Lee. I don't see where you're going with this. Patents do exist and there are standards to obtain one from the USPTO. GF has published patents. One of the first parts of the process is to search and examine existing patents.

Sorry Lee. I don't see where you're going with this. Patents do exist and there are standards to obtain one from the USPTO. GF has published patents. One of the first parts of the process is to search and examine existing patents.
    Which has what, exactly, to do with "proprietary"?
    You seem to be disagreeing with something I didn't say and you don't understand.

Which has what, exactly, to do with "proprietary"?
    You seem to be disagreeing with something I didn't say and you don't understand.
    I have no idea what you are saying. What is it that you want to disagree about?

You misunderstand. At the top of their website is a banner with the latest shipping info that states:

"Glowforge® Deliveries: Latest Schedule
    30-Day Campaign: We’re currently shipping US Basic orders placed on Day 14 and US Pro orders placed on Day 6. We’ll email you shortly with a shipping update - this update has details."

Link to the announcement, please.
    No misunderstanding on my part. Facts are facts. When you pay attention to details, the picture is a lot clearer....

From Dan S. On Feb 25, 2016

https://community.glowforge.com/t/th...-shipping/1551
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

No misunderstanding on my part. Facts are facts. When you pay attention to details, the picture is a lot clearer....

From Dan S. On Feb 25, 2016

https://community.glowforge.com/t/th...-shipping/1551
    I'm afraid so. It is embedded code that mirrors the big banner update at the top of the page. Try it now and compare it word for word.

When the banner is updated with the latest shipping info, the legacy posts will update with this message too. Make a note and check that link when the counter moves again.

Ah Yea Right Matt
    Why do you want to debate the merits, challenges, difficulties, and cost of hardware/software R&D and patents? How much does this process usually cost and how long does it normally take, in your experience?

Again, the discussion was about the contradiction of having the opinion that the GF has developed nothing new, but also acknowledging at the same time that they are building proprietary components and software. The shear fact that it has been difficult and long, as well as going through the expense and work of obtaining patents, should be all any reasonable person would normally need. Throw in a demand from consumers clamoring for what they were selling (indicating that there was a vacuum) successful investors throwing money at GF, and inspiring other manufactures (FSL, Dremel, et al) to develop new products, might help tip an opinion too.

Whether you think it is a good idea or even if you're of the opinion they are re-inventing the wheel, is a moot point. It's just your opinion, and you're not their intended customer anyway or a manufacturing competitor that will have any impact on GF.

It's fine you saw a post or two on their owner's forum to generalize everyone's GF experience. Being in the CS business, you are well aware that happy customers rarely have a need to say anything, but upset ones need to tell the whole world. Squeaky wheel gets the oil, and all that. Right Bert?

Unfortunately, you left out that GF tweaking the software (via the cloud!) to make operational improvements, such as raising the temperature trigger, expanding the engraving are, speed, etc., has been met with positive responses from their backers/owners. Look those up later too when you're noodling through the GF forum.

Now, I respect your opinion, but this is not about whether you or I like/dislike the GF. At least for me. Opinions are like you know what. Everyone has one. Try reading customer reviews on Amazon about literary masterpieces or notable books. My favorite is one that states that "The Diary of Anne Frank" is sooo boring and nothing ever happens, so the reader didn't even finish it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have no idea what you are saying. What is it that you want to disagree about?
    You seem to think that "proprietary" implies "patentable". It's the other way around.
    Hopefully you'll figure that out before I run out of ways to say it.

VW I looked

That was 20 months ago.

Sorry was replying to Kev pop quiz
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Wow thats a lot of reading for one days smashing and bashing and I don't have to say anything you guys are doin great with out me
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander