Thread: Length of basic Jet 1221vs lathe?

Length of basic Jet 1221vs lathe?

The title asks the question. I now have the Jet 1014vs mini in my basement shop. Jet currently has a nice sale going for four days and I'm trying to determine if I have the space for their 1221vs Midi lathe. Just need the length from headstock to end of ways. No extension planned. I'd appreciate if an owner of this lathe would pass along this info to me. I've decided not to go out and fight the Black Friday crowds.

I just measured mine and it's 30-½ inches from end to end. There's also a knob on the belt door that protrudes about one inch out from the headstock end.

Here is the manual. Page 7 has detailed specs.
    http://content.jettools.com/assets/m...200_man_EN.pdf

Wow, the overall length of my Jet mini is almost 29 inches. I think this might be doable. Are you all pretty happy with this lathe? I've had very good luck with Jet products over the years.

Thanks very much for your quick replies, Steve and Dwight.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bjorgen View Post
    Wow, the overall length of my Jet mini is almost 29 inches. I think this might be doable. Are you all pretty happy with this lathe? I've had very good luck with Jet products over the years.

Thanks very much for your quick replies, Steve and Dwight.
    I'm totally pleased with mine, Charles. If you like the 1014VS, you'll love the 1221VS.
    I splurged and also went with the dedicated stand (719202) which adds a lot of mass to the unit. Right now the stand is on sale for 20% off and is built like a tank.

Where is it 20% off please. I have a new 1221 still in box I did see woodcraft had a sale I thought was 15%

Sorry i found it 15 off the machine and 20 off accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Freeman View Post
    Where is it 20% off please. I have a new 1221 still in box I did see woodcraft had a sale I thought was 15%
    Actually, the sale is in effect at any authorized Jet retailer, including your local Rockler store, but it ends tomorrow the 30th.

FYI - woodcraft has the Rikon lathe of the same size and features for $550 in December. Just another option.

I picked up a 1221VS and stand last Friday. It's still in the box - to many other priorities that need to be attended to.

Jim

I was on-again, off-again on the purchase of the Jet 1221 until yesterday, Cyber Monday, when I finally pulled the pin and bought both the lathe and stand from CPO Outlets. I actually did go to a local Rockler store to get a close look at the lathe and was completely impressed with its features. The footprint in my shop was the crucial issue and the 1221 turned out to be not much more than the Jet mini.

I had moved my previous turning operation out to my garage but Minnesota winters and space problems rendered that move impractical. I'll still have to deal with sanding dust in my shop though. I'll probably be looking for a small, portable dust extractor. I might try to rig up something with my Fein vacuum. I do have a ceiling mounted air cleaner in the shop though. Having sold my contractors' table saw to clear space in my shop made this decision easier. Thanks for your help and suggestions.