Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimum honey do kit?

This is like the instructions you find on any new thing (appliance, piece of furniture, etc.) brought into the house. The manufacturer states a few simple tools are required and lists a screwdriver, pliers and maybe a hammer. By the time I've finished with the thing, whatever it is, I've dragged everything out of my shop but my table saw to get the job done. Oh well, I guess the exercise is good for me. Sorry to depart from the thread, but I couldn't help myself.
    Tom
    Last edited by Thomas L. Miller; 08-11-2015 at 5:08 PM. Reason: punctuation

I've bought a number of tools to leave at my parents house over the years. Others have covered a lot of these, but my go-to's include a torpedo level with magnet, stud finder, channel-locks, variety of screwdrivers, and I usually take my own drill and bits including a set of Dewalt driver bits, a set of pilot bits, both countersink and self-centering, plus, a set of general use twist bits.
    Last edited by Charles Wiggins; 08-11-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Internet access, credit card, and cell phone will get ANYTHING fixed.

I'd add a set of drill bits: I carry the DeWalt set, which runs up to 1/2 inch (I think)
    I also use the DeWalt 12vMax drill/driver and impact driver set, along with some extenders, so I can reach things buried up to 12".

An oscillating saw with a variety of blades is extremely handy: I got the Harbor Freight fixed speed one on sale to handle an emergency and wouldn't be without it.

Unfortunately I have gotten the (deserved) reputation of being able to "fix things", so my wife and I get invites for the weekend, or dinner, or a picnic or... quite frequently now. I ALWAYS pack the basic kit - it damn near lives in the trunk.
    Can't say as I mind too much - the meals are almost always very good, and I get to try things out.

It also helps the tool budget: if I buy it while on an "Oh, by the way..." trip there is never any comment, at least so far...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."- Walt Kowalski

For electrical, add a non-contact voltage tester, an outlet tester, an inexpensive multi-meter and a pair of inexpensive wire stripper/crimper.

I just finished a number of small projects at my son's home and I found a variety of small wood screws handy along with a supply of wooden toothpicks for the occasional screw hole that has become loose and needs to be tightened up by inserting sections of toothpicks. This list is a tremendous reminder and I am going to create a list of these items for my go to toolbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Crosby View Post
    For electrical, add a non-contact voltage tester, an outlet tester, an inexpensive multi-meter and a pair of inexpensive wire stripper/crimper.

non contact testers are my favorite electrical tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    The screws had stripped the MDF door, and were hanging.
    My dad had tried filling it in with toothpaste and pasting the screws back in place.
    Wait... what???

Was there a thought process leading to this, or just one of those old people things, like the time my 90-year old Grandma took all the sheets off her bed and tried to flush them down the toilet? I never thought of adding a tube of toothpaste to my tool arsenal. I think I have used it successfully as a metal polish in a pinch before, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."- Walt Kowalski
    I would add zip-ties to that list!

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I would not even consider tackling these repairs without my 5hp cabinet table saw, 7.5hp 16" radial arm saw, 5hp shaper, 3hp dust collector and 16 speed drill press. Doing so without the proper tools is just asking for trouble! (I am guessing you are married?)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    Wait... what???

Was there a thought process leading to this, or just one of those old people things, like the time my 90-year old Grandma took all the sheets off her bed and tried to flush them down the toilet? I never thought of adding a tube of toothpaste to my tool arsenal. I think I have used it successfully as a metal polish in a pinch before, though.
    Toothpaste is a common 'fill the hole' trick for renters to fill in nail holes in the wall from hung pictures to avoid losing your deposit. Learned that trick 40 years ago. It won't hold a nail, but it will pass a walkthrough inspection for nail holes in drywall.
    Mark McFarlane