Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Woodturning Deaths?

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Izzy get some instruction and enjoy woodturning. It is only as unsafe as the turner makes it. Being forewarned and having access to reliable information and a good mentor is a big help.

Few things in life don't exhibit some form of danger. The goal isn't necessarily to avoid those things but rather reduce the chances of one becoming a statistic regardless of what you are doing.

One of the most dangerous things I ever experienced was falling from the mast of a US Navy ship while working on the navigational radar. I had been up the mast of that ship many times working on that radar. All the electronics except for the radar monitor were rotating with the radar antenna. At the time, the Navy had a requirement that if you went aloft you HAD to wear a safety harness. It wasn't required that you use the attached safety rope and tie off....just wear the harness.. I hadn't tied off yet. This time, I was using a DC powered oscilloscope to monitor the video output while I tuned the receiver. I tied off. I was watching the o'scope and mechanically tuning the cavity of a klystron when my thumb made contact with the 1000 vdc on the repeller of the klystron. The next thing I knew I was hanging by that safety rope.

A couple years ago while using a routing template and routing half lap joints into some 2x4's I got a phone call. Shutting off the router, I answered the phone. One of my DILs had survived her 4th major surgery in 6 months. I went back to work routing another 1/4" of the current joint. I shut off the router, flipped it over, released the lock and as I plunged the router base down to the final depth, I looked across the room at the phone thinking about the rough period of time my son and DIL were going through. The bit hadn't stopped when I drove it into my right wrist. It required 14 stitches to close the resultant wound and the good news is I have a very small numb spot but that is the only permanent damage other than a large scar.

Since I started putting more emphasis on sharp manual tools, I have cut myself more often than previously I did.

If you are considering turning, find a local club, get a mentor. Turners are a generous bunch by nature. Don't be scared, be aware and prepare. Think things out before you take action. Turning is the most immediately gratifying type of woodworking IMO. In a matter of as little as an hour or two, you can be enjoying a completed project.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-01-2015 at 11:23 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....