Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner hobby woodworker, tools and questions.

Beginner hobby woodworker, tools and questions.

Hi there! thank you for stopping by.

I have been missing a good hobby in my life, and have been wanting to use my hands for years (I work in a office).
    After much thought about the subject, I decided, that woodworking (At least at hobby level) would be a fun, rewarding project, not only for myself, but also a skill that my son could take part in and enjoy.
    However, I must already now state that I am on a tight budget, and that I will have to buy tools on the go.

My ambition is not to become a professional, nor is it to make top tier items (I am fully aware that I am a beginner), but it is simply, to have a fun hobby, where I can use my hands, and make some useful projects.
    Sadly, my current house do not feature a garage, or any other truly indoor environment where I can work.

The best idea I have been able to come up with, is using a shed with open sides. and then putting up some “walls” made of either plywood or the like, just to keep the rain and such out.

My thoughts was to start out with a limited selection of power tools *Drill, Router, Jigsaw, Orbital grinder (or a grinder in general) and then either a Circular saw, or a Mitresaw.
    and then a selection of hand tools, clamps etc.

Now for my questions (I am sorry for the long post by the way)
    • Can it be done at all in those conditions (not thinking about major power tools like band saw etc.)
    • What kind of tools would you suggest, for that kind of hobby use.
    • What to look for when going for “cheap” power tools (Some circular saws are a lot cheaper based mostly on lower wattage
    • And lastly, what would be a better fit, a circular saw, or a Mitre saw, if you would have to choose one.

Once again sorry for the long post, but I have so far failed in finding this information

Welcome to the Creek.

I would suggest that you should be able to do quite a bit of woodworking with the tools you describe. I have used essentially those kinds of tools to build a 13' x 15' entertainment center that still lives in my parents house.

I would suggest that a circular saw will be much more useful to you than a miter saw. Miter saws will do a good job at crosscutting a timber, but that is all. A circular saw, with a proper guide, will both crosscut and ripcut plywood or other materials.

I would also suggest that you subscribe or find a copy of Wood Magazine. In every issue is at least one project with the moniker "I can do that". These are relatively straight forward projects that involve basic hand tools and power tools.

One item that I use all the time is a pocket hole jig. There are many available, but a basic Kreg jig is not very expensive, and it can be used for a great number of applications.

On the subject of cheap tools, remember the old adage that if you buy an expensive tool, you cry once. If you buy a cheap tool, you cry every time you use it.

The other issue with your proposed shop area is that while you can probably build some good projects there, finishing them could be a problem. Moisture and humidity will affect how your stains and finishes cure, and doing it out of doors could be a big problem.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Maybe find a used lathe on CL and try turning? Should take up less space and money I would think. It doesn't seem like you have all the tools you listed (unless I read it wrong). Turning is a great hobby with more "immediate gratification" for projects I think. Of course you can spend equal $ on the advanced end of both but I would think turning would be a quicker startup for a smaller space?

Flemming;
    Where are you located? That could influence many answers.

A drill press, band saw, and circular or miter saw would be good starting tools. As time, projects, experience, and funds are available, you will learn what other tools/machines you need. Finding good used tools can save a lot of money.

A shed can be a good place for a shop. Many people do that.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

My thoughts....

1. I do all of my woodworking on my driveway. My wife frowns upon sawdust being created in the garage, so I don't. As long as it isn't raining and it is a livable temperature, I'm good to go.

2. Knowing what you want to build/create will go a long way to helping you determine what types of tools to acquire.

3. The tools I probably couldn't live without at this point (if we are doing hand tools only)....My 18v Hitachi Cordless Drill and Impact Driver set. My Grizzly Track saw (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Trac...er-Pack/T25552) to breakdown sheet goods and cut straight lines (It has been a good little saw, if you get it buy a quality blade before you ever plug it in). My power miter saw and a reasonable router (plunge base if you can), and a random orbit sander. Of course decent bits, blades, and other consumables need to be part of the equation too. A high quality tool with a bad blade will give bad results.

4. If there is a harbor freight near you, do not be afraid to check some of their things out. They have a pocket hole guide which works very well (I own it instead of the Kreg pocket hole kit, It was far less expensive and is pretty good quality). I don't own their sliding compound miter saw, but it gets pretty good reviews, and may suit your needs. I have their little multi tool and for $20 has been worth every penny spent and then some. Do some research on the HF goodies, and you may find some things which can serve a purpose in your setup without breaking your bank.

5. figure out what you are wanting to build and buy the tools which will help you build it. Then expand your collection as your budget, skills, and space allow.

I do have a table saw and a router table (with an Incra fence system). I have also started to venture into the world of Festool (tread lightly, these are quality tools that come with a hefty price tag).

I have the harbor freight pocket hole kit, I really like it.

the tracksaw idea sounds ideal for your situation.

Thank you for all the answers, and yes, location is a big thing I am living in Denmark though, so sadly have to research a bit more for specific tools (The main brands are the same, but some are not)

Some of the thoughts i have collected so far in my research is to start with a Circular saw, and make the jigs i need (I do not mind the "do it yourself" approach) and then get a jigsaw, random orbital sander, a drill ofcourse, and then some hand tools to help getting projects done without the need for ALL the powertools

The tracksaw idea is actually very good, one question, are they detachable in a way that it can still be used for "normal" circular saw operations, or am i overthinking it?
    Last edited by Flemming Kaergaard; 03-23-2015 at 4:55 PM.

If you choose a track saw system like you'll find at Eurekazone.com you can use most any circular saw, buy a 64" track with baseplate and two clamps, and be able to use the saw on or off the track. That is how I started, and eventually got more track-related gear - the square, the router base, ... all very portable.

The turning might be a ton of fun, I've known a few guys that do only that and have a blast doing it.

Might wanna go the hand tool route. Investment is small, its mostly quite and shavings and dust don't go every where... There some here that do it in a spare bedroom.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

The tracksaw can be used without the track. I have a DeWalt (which I really like) but they all work similarly. They are plunge cutting saws. The blade retracts back up into the saw when you are not pushing it down. So they work differently but you could do freehand cuts. I have a Milwaukee circular saw and a cordless Ryobi so I don't use the DeWalt that way but I don't see why you couldn't. A track saw can be set up with accessories to do a whole lot of your cutting. You should also research a MFT style table. You don't have to buy the MFT, they like all Festool devices are not inexpensive, you can buy the top separately and support it with a table of your own making. The holes in the MFT are precisely cut so you can put simple "dogs" into them for cross cutting. That lets the tracksaw function something like the miter saw. You'll need a worksurface of some type and the Festool MFT really expands the capability of the tacksaw. Ron Paulk sells plans for his less expensive work table ideas. There are lots of videos on U tube showing how to make and use Ron's work surfaces.

I'd get a tracksaw and a cordless drill as you first couple tool purchases. I like my Ryobi 18V stuff - not because it is the best but because it works fine and isn't expensive. You need to stay away from wasting money on really low end tools. They are a waste of money. The trick is finding tools that are good buys - work well but aren't real expensive. Some Ryobi tools are junk but their 18V rechargeable tools are useful. I also use a Ryobi table saw (BT3100), Radial arm saw, and planner (AP-10). But I have Hitachi, DeWalt, Jet, and other brands too.

Fleming,

As another poster mentioned a Grizzly Track Saw is very useful and for most projects it will replace a Chop saw and a circular saw...and with better accuracy. It will cost between $225-$300 depending upon the tracks and accessories that you choose. Being new to the hobby I would suggest "Googling" Grizzly Machinery. With a good blade you can cut veneered plywoods with minimal chip out and it can be hooked up to a shop vacuum for dust control. Other track saws are available at $500-$900 but the Grizzly will serve you well. I use mine regularly on every project even though I have a table saw.

I was just about to post this when I realized that you are in Denmark. Take a look at the Sheppach Track Saw which is avalible there. The Grizzly that I mentioned is a Sheppach clone. There are many You Tube videos on both brands.

Honestly, my best advice is not to worry about buying tools. Decide what you want to make and then buy the tools you need to make it. Fit the tools to the project, not the project to the tools. That way, you don't end up buying tools that you never really use. Decide what makes you happy, then get the tools that allow you to make what makes you happy. Have fun.

Your Nation has a long history of woodworking, to high standards.
    The most influential teacher of fine Woodworking to Americans was a Dane.

I recommend that you first take an introductory course before you purchase tools.
    That way, you can survey what works best for you and your space.

Where space is limited, bigger is not better.

I prefer 'hand tools' which are not powered by electricity.
    Please consider reading Jim Tolpin's "The New Traditional Woodworker"
    before you go further.

Much can be done at your lumber supplier, to reduce the need for power tools.

I can't provide a direct link to a school in Scandinavia, but this boat building 'high school'
    has received good press in the US. Perhaps they can provide guidance.

http://magellanisverige.blogspot.com...ng-school.html

http://www.jimtolpin.com/books

Been looking at the Sheppach brand, seems good in general

Around here the high schools offer classes where you learn to use the various tools. Some people take them for years to do projects without ever buying a single tool.
    Your ideas don't make any sense to me at all. If you can't find a class, maybe you can find a shop you can rent time in.