Thread: Wood bench dogs..........finally

Wood bench dogs..........finally

Well this "project" reminds me of a something Mark Twain said about the classics......something like-people are happy to have read them but not at all happy reading.....

I know this is no "masters" project but I have wanted to make them for years. Some metal bench dogs came with my bench and I have always been afraid of banging a plane or chisel into them. It was never top on my list but today I managed to knock out 8 of them. The number was for no other reason then that is how many blanks I was able to cut out of a scrap piece of 1/4 sawn oak scrap I had. Turned out to be very efficient with only a few slivers of scrap. Since they do get used and handled so much I had to take the extra unnecessary step of breaking the edges and corners. Why not, 8 should last a long long time.

image.jpg

Very cool.

Nicely done.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Thanks Kent

Blog Entries
    Yay! you'll plane with greater confidence now. Nice job.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Nice looking bunch of dogs you have there.

Why not, 8 should last a long long time.
    Believe me, once you get used to having them stored in the dog holes, you will want to make some more.

Some metal bench dogs came with my bench and I have always been afraid of banging a plane or chisel into them.
    My wooden dogs have taken enough hits to know my planes would not be safe with metal dogs on my bench.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like gals with a little more junk in the trunk.

uhmmmm . . .
    I'm not SURE about this . . . not having made ones shaped like yourn . . .
    and I don't want to rain on your parade . . .
    and . . . ahhhhhh I like the look of them and stuff . . .
    OK now that I have hemmed and hawed
    errrr Jebediah,
    have you tried them out yet ?
    I am thinking that the tapered lower end is going to tilt toward the work and the upper business end is going to tilt away from the work and disaster could, very likely, be imminent.

Case in point see these dogs both metal and wood. The bottom end of them are full not tapered. I am thinking along the lines of gripping thicker rough planks like in my photo but . . .
    . . . how do the work for you?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 03-18-2015 at 11:48 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Hey Winton-

I'm not sure exactly what you mean? If they weren't tapered they wouldn't work in my bench. The bench is a Sjorberg and they aren't just square holes if that matters. It was basically just a copy of the metal dogs I have been using (cautiously) for years. I gave it more taper to get the proper tension on the spring so they didn't just fall out the bottom. Most of, if not all of the taper hangs below the bench top anyhow, only the top 3 1/2" are in th bench.

I did test them and they are rock solid. Maybe the design I came up with wouldn't work on a different bench, I don't know? But so far so good with these.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The bench is a Sjorberg and they aren't just square holes
    they are rock solid.
    I see.
    Excellent !
    Carry on.

PS: I'm still a little concerned and wonder how you get a constant angle of the grip end tilted a couple degrees toward the work if the bottom end is sliding up and down in a taper but I don't have to understand them if they work for you.
    But
    Better is Better.

Yeah, I think I understand what you are saying. So far so good anyhow after and hour or two of use. I'm not sure if they tilt towards the work, they are more 90 deg out of the bench. But the metal ones by Sjoberg don't tilt towards the work anyhow. For a real thick board I guess I could use the metal. The wooden ones I'm sure have some flex when they are several inches up over the top.

Talking specifically now about having the dogs fairly far out of the holes now . . .

for thick wood like if I wanted to grip my shoulder vise component shown in the second photo or
    use the dogs REVERSED
    for pulling joints apart see first photo.
    When reversed doesn't the taper mess with the angle of the gripping face of the dog then ?
    I am looking at the photo you posted of your metal dog and it is not tapered. And I think you said it worked in your bench.
    Be careful when you get those new dogs up on their hind legs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    But
    Better is Better.

Sorry, looks like I was writing while you were writing.
    Sounds like the wooden ones will work great for nearly everything.
    As far as the tilt, my and the Klausz bench in general have the dog holes tilted two or three degrees toward each other. Looks like he may have used at least one custom made dog just for putting in the holes backward.
    Anyway , glad you "finally" made some nice bench dogs for yourself.
    Thanks for posting them.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 03-18-2015 at 10:47 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

That's a fine lookin' pack o' pups you've got there. Well done, well done good sir.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.