Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clean Your Optics!

My Unversals did not come with air assist. The Epilog has it, and it gets used regularly. I do believe there is a retrofit kit available for the X-series ULS machines, but it ain't cheap. For the time being, at least, I'll just continue my regular cleaning procedures (and trying real hard not to forget again) as they have worked well for many years. I do really like the air assist on the Epilog, though. Would like to add it to the ULS lasers some day.
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Leavitt View Post
    This is what I get, and have always gotten, when doing glass. This is running at 80 power and 30 speed on 50 and 60 watt lasers. I know some people say you shouldn't even need to use air extraction when doing glass, but in my experience, this is not the case. This dust gets on the lenses, belts, I-beams, etc.
    That's definitely a new one on me, Brian, and I've done a lot of glass in the years gone by. One side note... make sure you're optics are free of any oils, as those will trap contaminants like no tomorrow, and then it dominoes. I'm not really sure where you're getting such a fine powder from, but I do have my doubts it's from glass (possibly something on the glass that is off-gassing).

Also, those numbers are WAY high for glass. For my old 60W ULS, I was at 100S/60P for float glass. I don't know what speed the older X-6xx ran at, but if they were close to the 75ipm of today's ULSs, you may be creating more problems for yourself. Once the glass fractures, pouring more heat into it only causes problems.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I run air assist 99% of the time. The only time its off is if I have the air cone off for some reason OR I'm using powder coat as a fill. Air blows this stuff all over the place

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Colson View Post
    My air assist is always on. The only thing that comes off is the nozzle and that's only for Cermark and synthetic wood engraving. My lens barely gets dirty. Those lens/mirror units here in New Zealand are about 1000 bucks so I am really trying to avoid buying another one.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I invariably get residue on my lens when engraving glass, but then I always use a detergent mix when doing it. I now rinse the lens in running water after I have finished, as I feel that the residue scatches if it
    removed with alcohol and a cotton bud as is usually recommended. And yes, I do use air assist.
    Hilton Lister. NZ
    GCC Spirit 60w. Meistergram 912, Gravograph IT, Old Roland Vinyl Cutter, Hand engraving, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    That's definitely a new one on me, Brian, and I've done a lot of glass in the years gone by. One side note... make sure you're optics are free of any oils, as those will trap contaminants like no tomorrow, and then it dominoes. I'm not really sure where you're getting such a fine powder from, but I do have my doubts it's from glass (possibly something on the glass that is off-gassing).

Also, those numbers are WAY high for glass. For my old 60W ULS, I was at 100S/60P for float glass. I don't know what speed the older X-6xx ran at, but if they were close to the 75ipm of today's ULSs, you may be creating more problems for yourself. Once the glass fractures, pouring more heat into it only causes problems.
    I do appreciate the input, Dan, but I must respectfully disagree on the power/speed settings. I have tried different settings in the past and if I try increasing the speed, or reducing the power, the quality of the etch degrades. These settings have always given me the best quality of engraving. Also, I'm running it at 300ppi as opposed to the 500ppi I use for most everything else. In fact, the ULS recommended settings are 100 power and 23 speed for the 50 watt machine on which I typically run glass. None of the settings I use for any of the materials I run were determined without much testing in the real world.
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

I do appreciate the input, Dan, but I must respectfully disagree on the power/speed settings. I have tried different settings in the past and if I try increasing the speed, or reducing the power, the quality of the etch degrades. These settings have always given me the best quality of engraving. Also, I'm running it at 300ppi as opposed to the 500ppi I use for most everything else. In fact, the ULS recommended settings are 100 power and 23 speed for the 50 watt machine on which I typically run glass. None of the settings I use for any of the materials I run were determined without much testing in the real world.
    RF tubes are spec'd to put out at least the rated output, many new and rebuilt ones exceed those ratings. As the tube ages and they all do at different rates, your settings will also need adjustment.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    I typically run glass at 250-333dpi. I know what ULS recommends (100P and speed = wattage, so 50W = 50S) and I found it to be WAY too hot. If you're happy with what you have, that's all that matters, but I'd urge you to try again with a much lower power level and see if you can get it to work. If nothing else, it would speed up your work. Of course, my suggestion only rings true if your older systems are running at the now-standard 75(ish)ips. If your machine is slower, you could get away with even less power than I recommended earlier.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I etch lots of glass, and I clean my lens about once a week, and have for the last 11 years. I also never use air assist with glsss. Still running the same lens I got with the machine. I don't think the Epilog open lens setup is as prone to collecting crud as some others.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I get that fine dust too when I engrave glass .. SOME glass. Not all.
    But I always get it when I engrave Corian. TONS of it!
    And even with the air assist, it somehow manages to get past the
    cone and up into the lens area
    Avatar courtesy of the awesome Frank Corker
    30w Mercury and workbench so full of misc. tools that
    I can't find any of them. So I have to buy them again.