Thread: Festool resale?

Festool resale?

What is the general range for prices on used Festool stuff? I've seen dominos for sale used and they seem to fetch about 80% of the new price. Is it about the same for the other Festool products?

reason I ask is because I have a good sized project coming up and there are a few Festool products like the track saw, domino, and RO 90 sander that would be nice to have. I'm thinking I'd buy the tools and resell them when I'm done with the project. Kind of like a long term rental if the resale value is good.

The only downside is I may like them too much and not want to resell later. I can see that happening with the domino but maybe not the other items.

i already have a ETS 150 sander and the CT-26 vac so I've drank some of the green kool-aid.

They hold their resale value incredibly well but as you posted you might have a hard time parting with them.

I have bought several for maybe 60%. I bought an unused domino and refurb sander for 80%, but they weren't used.
    I would rather pay 100% for a new tool than 80% for a used; but that is just me.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 02-22-2015 at 10:43 AM.

Check eBay for sold Festool items and see what they sold for used.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Check eBay for sold Festool items and see what they sold for used.

Mike
    Great idea. I checked a few for the RO 90 and prices are all over the place but it looks like at least a few people are buying them for 75% or more of new value and some look well used. What's strange is that some were sold for maybe 15% less than new cost. I think if I go this route I'll plan to get maybe 60-70% of new cost on the resale. (Figure worst case)

My wife is ok with this idea. Im thinking I may just "forget" to sell them later....

Vac, track, stops, dominos, paper, etc. Facter those in too.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berrevoets View Post
    What is the general range for prices on used Festool stuff? I've seen dominos for sale used and they seem to fetch about 80% of the new price. Is it about the same for the other Festool products?

reason I ask is because I have a good sized project coming up and there are a few Festool products like the track saw, domino, and RO 90 sander that would be nice to have. I'm thinking I'd buy the tools and resell them when I'm done with the project. Kind of like a long term rental if the resale value is good.

The only downside is I may like them too much and not want to resell later. I can see that happening with the domino but maybe not the other items.

i already have a ETS 150 sander and the CT-26 vac so I've drank some of the green kool-aid.
    Not sure your I agree with you economies of scale? Guarantee you can do ANY job with far cheaper tools. If I only needed tools for a single job or project, I would never buy Festool.
    I think you could buy every tool you would need from HD for the price of just one festool tool. Then you could still sell them all on CL for at least half what you paid for them.
    I have thousands of dollars in festool tools and love them but can't imagine buying them for only one project. The other factor is would someone buy a used festool TS55 saw off you for $480 (80% of $615) when they can buy a new one for $615? Not me

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Not sure your I agree with you economies of scale? Guarantee you can do ANY job with far cheaper tools. If I only needed tools for a single job or project, I would never buy Festool.
    I think you could buy every tool you would need from HD for the price of just one festool tool. Then you could still sell them all on CL for at least half what you paid for them.
    I have thousands of dollars in festool tools and love them but can't imagine buying them for only one project. The other factor is would someone buy a used festool TS55 saw off you for $480 (80% of $615) when they can buy a new one for $615? Not me
    I don't disagree with you one bit. I did a similar project at our last house but only about half as many cabinets and I did that with the tools I had at the time. Most of those have been replaced with better tools like a bigger table saw, etc.

I was trying to gauge the resale so I could make a decision if it was worth the extra cost monetarily for the "added benefit" of better dust collection, accuracy, ease/joy of use while I'm doing the project. I'll buy the domino and keep it as I've been eyeing them for years and this is the excuse to push me over the edge.

I didn't mention this before but I'm a hobby woodworker. I had cabinets priced out at the box store (not what I wanted exactly) and I can easily save $10,000+ doing it myself and get exactly what I want. But (the big but) there is a lot of time involved doing it myself. If the Festool stuff makes it a little faster or more enjoyable then it may be worth it to me. Not monetarily for sure since I don't have a bottom line to watch.

If you are going to save even close that that much money, I would definitely go the Festool route. I was going to get a TS, but wound up getting the Dewalt because of the really good reviews and better price.

As for resale, I see plenty of people here and on LJ that pay 75-80% of retail for a used tool if its in really good shape (used by hobbiest).

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    The other factor is would someone buy a used festool TS55 saw off you for $480 (80% of $615) when they can buy a new one for $615? Not me
    I probably wouldn't buy any Festools for one project either (unless it was just an excuse to buy them in the first place...), but post a like new TS55 over on Festool Owners Group and see if it takes more than a day to sell.. 2 days at the most. You can def get 80% for basically a brand new tool.

I have sold numerous Festool tools when upgraded models came out. Never got less than 75% and normally received 80%+ of purchase price as the newer models always have higher prices. Now I really take care of my tools and they look new when sold and that really helps resale. Again - my sales were after a new higher priced version hit the market. Did my sales here and on the FOG and no problems finding buyers. The key I believe is to take care of their appearance as tools showing lots of wear really drop in price. Understand that I am a hobbiest so have the time and desire to care for my investment.
    Pete

I just sold my Domino DF500 for about 80% of the new value.

I think you'll have an easy time selling the Domino. The others may not move as quickly. The reason is that there are good substitutes for the others. The Domino is in a league of its own.

I think the speed savings of a Domino + the high resale value might make it a reasonable one-time investment for a large job. I can't see the economy paying off for the other tools unless you have no other way of cutting sheet goods.

As far as sanders go, why not just rent a second one from BORG and double fist with your ETS?

The significant savings in doing this myself is what is prompting most of this line of thinking. And, when my wife asked what our savings would over the big box store cabinets she replied with "you could buy a bunch of tools and still save money". So I blame her for planting this seed in my head.

I despise sanding. I've had at least 3 Porter-Cable 333 sanders in the past 15 years. I finally got tired of the cloud of dust and the whine of the shop vac one day so I went out and dropped about $900 on the ETS and the CT-26. I remember driving home thinking I was an idiot for spending roughly 10 times what the Porter cable and the shop vac cost. But, then I plugged it in and it was almost fun to use and I don't despise sanding quite as much anymore. if the other Festool products are like that then maybe I wouldn't sell them at all.

I still keep a couple of the old PC 333's. Neighbors and friends ask for sanders to borrow and I send them out the door with the 333 and all the sanding disks they will need.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berrevoets View Post
    The significant savings in doing this myself is what is prompting most of this line of thinking. And, when my wife asked what our savings would over the big box store cabinets she replied with "you could buy a bunch of tools and still save money". So I blame her for planting this seed in my head.
    GREENLIGHT!!! GO. GO!! GO!!!!!

I still keep a couple of the old PC 333's. Neighbors and friends ask for sanders to borrow and I send them out the door with the 333 and all the sanding disks they will need.
    You sir, are a man of virtue.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.