Thread: DIY mini split?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I did not install my own, but have talked to people who did. My lines were longer than 25 feet, so I needed to have coolant added, which is something I can't do. I paid an installer $750 to put mine in, but otherwise bought it at plumbing supply here locally using my contractor's access to such. It made the price $2,750 (including the install charge) instead of $4,500.

You will need to install a whip disconnect (like anything else A/C) and run a 220 line with whatever your installation suggests as a breaker (there is a top side limitation, I suppose as a measure of protection for the machine to limit how much current it can draw if it malfunctions).

Otherwise, a lot of the work on the installation manual was just picking locations, mounting things and following instructions about minimum radius when installing the lines, etc.

The only downside I have with mine is that the warranty is two years less if it's not installed by one of the pricey contractors (5 vs. 7), but the difference in price is nearly enough to re-buy any equipment needed if something breaks.

After seeing the power bills for the last two years, I am not sorry that I spent $2750 on the device. Our summer power bill has not increased despite adding a room that it works with (partially because our other A/C is old, and we can step the temp down in the added room and get the split to do more than just cool that room).
    Last edited by David Weaver; 01-15-2015 at 7:38 AM.