Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Economy turning smock.

Economy turning smock.

I don't do a lot of turning but yesterday I needed to rough out a cylindrical blank at school when I had a couple of spare minutes. In the mornings this time of year I normally wear a fleece vest under my shop apron, and in about five minutes of turning, my apron, vest, shirt and T shirt were full of chips. I had to make a quick trip over to the air hose to clean up.

Today I needed to do another quick turning job, and I left off my apron (and fleece) and grabbed my welding jacket. It's cotton, size XXXL, and has a stand up collar with a snap tab. It worked great as a turning smock; nothing got past it or down the neck. It's a REVCO welding jacket and a google search will take you to Amazon where it's around $30 bucks or so. It's also a decent welding jacket, and it has no pockets on the outside to fill up with sawdust.

I'm new to the round world but have read some put a windbreaker jacket on backwards.

3. This one works very well......I have one but it is a tan color, but it works well and is a good value.

http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-STALLION...welding+jacket
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Yup, that's the same one I have, only mine has the much more exciting RED flames.

HA! I just bought that welding jacket for use with my new tig welder AND was thinking after I tried it on that it would make a decent turning jacket. It is a lot thicker than my short sleeved AAW smock (it's cottton) but priced right at $29 shipped on eBay.

FYI the AAW smock was $50 and I do prefer the thinner aspect and short sleeves while turning, but that is from a fella who saved and spent the money early on to insulate and heat my shop.
    Last edited by Scott Hackler; 01-15-2015 at 10:02 AM.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I use the AAW smock. Here in Florida, anything heavier is just too hot. Even then I usually only wear it over a T-shirt in the winter.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

7. Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    I use the AAW smock. Here in Florida, anything heavier is just too hot. Even then I usually only wear it over a T-shirt in the winter.
    yeah.....this one is better suited for cooler conditions! Might serve those in cooler areas well, or in low heat shops/studios.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Dress shirts from Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores. $2 each and a great feeling when you stand there in wearing Brooks Brothers or a Neiman Marcus brand "smock" getting stuff all over it.

scrubs work well

My own worn out shirts. A denim shirt I'd been wearing for 15 years developed some holes, and the collar was beyond threadbare, so I've been wearing it at the lathe the last couple days. Usually the pocket gets cut off to solve the shavings problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    Dress shirts from Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores. $2 each and a great feeling when you stand there in wearing Brooks Brothers or a Neiman Marcus brand "smock" getting stuff all over it.
    A female demonstrator at a symposium a few years ago says she steals her husband's shirts and wears them backwards - protects the neck and no pockets .
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

My zipper broke today.

This afternoon I'll be headed out to find the cheapest, thinnest windbreaker that zips all the way up the neck. I figure one of those JC Penney discount racks or Goodwill might do the trick. Any other up-to-date advice on cool and cheap is appreciated.

(Also looking for a black turtleneck, beret, sunglasses and a medallion for beatnick poetry at the church's un-talent show)
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

13. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    My zipper broke today.

This afternoon I'll be headed out to find the cheapest, thinnest windbreaker that zips all the way up the neck. I figure one of those JC Penney discount racks or Goodwill might do the trick. Any other up-to-date advice on cool and cheap is appreciated.

(Also looking for a black turtleneck, beret, sunglasses and a medallion for beatnick poetry at the church's un-talent show)
    I just picked up a windbreaker in Wal Mart for $9. I think it's meant for warm weather bicycle riding as it has some reflective strips on the sleeves. When I put it on, I flip the hood to the inside, and it zips high on the neck.

Plus one on the dress shirt. Cheap, light, and durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post

I just got a high neck 1/4 zipper shirt for $14 new at Costco.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!