Thread: A pair of brackets

A pair of brackets

Just got these Basswood brackets done for a private home . A lot of wood had to come off the original blocks with them ending up at 3 ft long and 14" wide. The swags and bottom leaves were carved separate and then fitted into place. Coping the leaves was a fun time!
    Using my thumb for scale you can see how carving the curl on the leaf was like carving and smoothing a spoon or ladle . Glad they're done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

Very nice Mark, fantastic detail as usual. For the swags, did you join 3 pieces of wood to form a U-shaped bracket alternating the grain so it flowed "around' the corbel, or is the whole front of it end-grain?

thanks for sharing,
    Karl

Thanks Karl.
    The front of the swag is all end grain.
    The Woodworking Studio

Nice pieces once again. Thanks for sharing.

I assume that these will be hung using the top squared area?

Do you have any video of you working on a carving that I can watch? I see all of your quality work and am amazed at how fast you complete a piece. I know that in each step there needs to be no wasted time but even at that you haul a--.
    "Always Chipping Away"

No, that's not how these are hung. The flat areas are wrapped with moldings which go up approx. 2 1/2 to 3 ft . With ceilings averaging around 15 ft. + the crown mldg. Is usually at least a couple of feet high. From those flats the mldg. builds out and is then wrapped with Egg +Dart etc. as you can see in these elevations. The doors are 10 ft. High. It's a big house at 45,000 sq. Ft.

And no, I don't have any videos. They'd put you to sleep I'm sure. These weren't exactly "fast" as my usual carvings go. The bottom leaves for example are within literally hundredths of an inch to each other as my vernier got a workout. That control and accuracy doesn't happen quickly. And then the time required just to cope such a convoluted shape into the bottom scroll. Change one little thing at one spot and it changes the fit everywhere.
    Especially considering the millwork shop and the level they work at. I have to push their carving to a different level. They know better. It gets serious very quickly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 01-14-2015 at 1:44 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio

How will these then be mounted to the wall/column?
    "Always Chipping Away"

That's the millwork companies job . I'd imagine since the top is getting wrapped a couple of screws at
    a 45 would do nicely then get hidden under the molding.
    That or a few 12 penny nails through the bracket would work! LOL. Well that's how I'd do it.
    The Woodworking Studio

Just dropped them off at the millwork shop. Wow does my shop feel odd now. They also gave me sticks for the next part of the job. More door panel trim. It's crazy stuff. Tiny and oh so detailed.
    The Woodworking Studio