Thread: Festool question

Festool question

Santa brought me a CT-26 vac, RO-125 sander, and the OF 1400 router. Played with the sander and vac, everything worked fine. Got the router out, went to plug in the same cord in the end that I was using from the sander, and they are two different connections. When I was at the store experimenting with them, the same cord went into all the sanders, and the salesman touted that was one of the benefits of Festool, you can use one cord for all of the tools. It seemed like a good idea, as I can attach the cord to the vac hose, and use the other cord for when I go outside to work without the vac. After experimenting, I can use the router cord on both tools, but the sander cord will only work with the sander. Did I get a leftover tool? It would seem like both cords would go into each other. I tried attaching pics, but kept getting an error message.

Thanks,

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I have several Festools and I also have at least two types of cords. Seems the bigger, power hungry machines (big routers, big saws) have a different machine end connector than the smaller machines (sanders).

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    I have several Festools and I also have at least two types of cords. Seems the bigger, power hungry machines (big routers, big saws) have a different machine end connector than the smaller machines (sanders).
    Yep, that's correct. There's a light weight cord intended for machines that don't draw a lot of current and a different cord that is bigger and designed for machines that draw a fair amount of current. You can use the heavy weight cord on all Festool machines, but the light weight cord can only be used on the smaller machines. There's a key that keeps the light weight cord from connecting to the heavy machines.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike is explain all of the differences. What I did - just file off small piece on heavy cord connector and use one cord for all my Festool. Never have a problem yet

The OF1400 requires a higher amperage and has a heavier cord, accordingly. It's one of just a few Festool products that use a different power cord. Nature of the beast...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just keep the heavier cord on top of my Festool vac, and that works with all of their machines. Easy, peasy.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Thanks all. After reading the threads and and looking at it, I would think Festool would just use the heavier cord in all their products, can't be that more expensive. It looks like the router cord is 16g, and the sander is 18g.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Henry View Post
    Thanks all. After reading the threads and and looking at it, I would think Festool would just use the heavier cord in all their products, can't be that more expensive. It looks like the router cord is 16g, and the sander is 18g.
    It's not just cost, it's flexibility.

For a sander that is moved rapidly and in all directions, a lighter more flexible cord is nice...........Rod.

Like others have said, you can use the heavier gauge cord with all of the tools, but not the smaller gauge cord. You should NOT try to modify the smaller cord to work with your heavier-amperage tools!! You could fry the cord or damage the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Henry View Post
    Santa brought me a CT-26 vac, RO-125 sander, and the OF 1400 router. Played with the sander and vac, everything worked fine. Got the router out, went to plug in the same cord in the end that I was using from the sander, and they are two different connections. When I was at the store experimenting with them, the same cord went into all the sanders, and the salesman touted that was one of the benefits of Festool, you can use one cord for all of the tools. It seemed like a good idea, as I can attach the cord to the vac hose, and use the other cord for when I go outside to work without the vac. After experimenting, I can use the router cord on both tools, but the sander cord will only work with the sander. Did I get a leftover tool? It would seem like both cords would go into each other. I tried attaching pics, but kept getting an error message.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Jason White; 12-27-2014 at 4:23 PM.

Attach a good strip power outlet to the CT, so You can have both festool cords plug in into the strip power outlet. It will make your life easier.

I don't want to deviate the thread, but be careful with the router. The bits tend to get loose on the collet.

I have seen so many postings everywhere and that happen to me.

What I use to do (I moved more into Neandertal woodworking), is to test it after a few cuts to be sure it still good.

Isn't that false advertising when they say any cord will fit any tool

If the bits are coming loose from the collet you might be pushing the bits in too deep when tightening the collet. Push the bit in all the way until it bottoms out and then pull it back out about 1/8" or so before tightening. Heat and/or vibration might also be causing the bits to come loose. Or, you might not be tightening the collet enough. These rules apply to any brand of router.

Here's some more good info about proper bit insertion and tightening..

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...routerbits.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel Fernandez View Post
    I don't want to deviate the thread, but be careful with the router. The bits tend to get loose on the collet.

I have seen so many postings everywhere and that happen to me.

What I use to do (I moved more into Neandertal woodworking), is to test it after a few cuts to be sure it still good.
    Last edited by Jason White; 12-29-2014 at 11:39 AM.

The heavy amp draw tools have a heavier/different cord.