Thread: Thompson Lathe Tools

Thompson Lathe Tools

Just got my first two detail gouges today. Beautifully Crafted tools and sales service above and beyond the call ! + one for Doug Thompson Tools.

Without doubt his tools rock, I have several.

Marc

I agree with you Keith. Ray Bell recently gave me a new Thompson 3/4V Bowl Gouge. I called and talked to Doug about what length of handle he would recommend for my work. I found him to be helpful and engaging. Just what I hoped for. The handle was on my door step in less than 48 hours. This won't be my last purchase from Thompson as I have found the product and service to be outstanding.
    WOOD SNIPER-Start off slow, then taper off

I have to agree with the above, great tools and like many of us, I own quite a few. I always find myself reaching for the Thompson tools before anything else. If I had enough disposable income, I would replace all of the "others" with nothing but Thompson.

Doug's steel and service are hard to match. I do wish the finish on the flutes were a little better, but you can't go wrong with Doug's tools. I own quite a few blades, but only one handle as I now make my own. I seem to buy one or two every time I see him at a symposium.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Doug's steel and service are hard to match. I do wish the finish on the flutes were a little better, but you can't go wrong with Doug's tools. I own quite a few blades, but only one handle as I now make my own. I seem to buy one or two every time I see him at a symposium.
    not sure if you meant the flutes on his detail gouges or his bowl gouges - but check Lyle Jamieson's to see the bowl gouge that Thompson makes. It is only sold by Jamieson. I like that flute better then Thompson's regular bowl gouge flute.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pachlhofer View Post
    not sure if you meant the flutes on his detail gouges or his bowl gouges - but check Lyle Jamieson's to see the bowl gouge that Thompson makes. It is only sold by Jamieson. I like that flute better then Thompson's regular bowl gouge flute.
    I was referring to ridges (from worn bits used to route the flute probably) in the flutes. Similar to the ridges seen in planed boards when the planer blades have a nick in them. I have also developed a preference for parabolic or eliptical flutes rather than stright sided V flutes. I know Jameison also prefers parabolic, and Doug now makes them for him.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

next bowl gouge I buy will probably be the Thompson/Jamieson

It is almost time for me to replace my 5/8 V and U gouges from Doug. Excellent tools. Good man to work with.

robo hippy

I just got the 1/2" V and U gouges and a 1/4" detail gouge for Christmas. Turned my first handle last night and made a few cuts with the U. My only experience before last night with lathe tools had been with Benjamin's Best from PSI. In just the few cuts I made to a mulberry bowl blank I had laying around I fell in love. So many problems and questions I've had about the quality of my cuts and speed of stock removal were instantly answered. BB tools are great for beginners and they have served me adequately for the year I've been turning, but I can already tell that my ability to turn quality pieces quickly just took a flying leap forward. I now know there is no comparison of any aspect of BB tools to my Thompson gouges. I'm sure there are other tools in the same realm of quality, but y'all recommended Thompson so that's what I asked Santa for. I'm darn near giddy with what I've seen so far and I really appreciate the recommendation. Thanks, fellow Creekers!

11. Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    I have to agree with the above, great tools and like many of us, I own quite a few. I always find myself reaching for the Thompson tools before anything else. If I had enough disposable income, I would replace all of the "others" with nothing but Thompson.
    As your old ones wear out replace them one at a time. Cheap tools are like buying cheap tires they cost you more in the long run and never perform as well. Michael