Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would A Nova G3 Chuck Be A Good Choice For A Jet 1221VS Lathe?

Question G3 vs SN2 on 1221VS?

It appears that SN2s are the better choice for larger lathes. OTOH, is the SN2 also a good choice for the Jet 1221VS? What advantages does the G3 have over the SN2 for the 1221VS?

Thanks,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Clark View Post
    Good info, but I'm bit confused... Above you wrote, "...Nova tightens in a recess and others tighten on a tenon." The best video I could find about the Nova G3 (see below) shows them being used in a recess and a tenon. Am I misunderstanding your comment?
    He was referring to the fact that some chucks require right-handed turn of the wrench to "tighten" the chuck when clamping onto a tenon and others required a left-handed turn to "tighten" onto a tenon.

I have all three, G3, super Nova and super Nova II. I hate changing jaws and I found I needed the bigger chuck to turn 24 inch bowls/platters. I like the allen wrench better than the gear wrench. I have a nova lathe 1624 and turn with the out rigger.

Dan J.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    He was referring to the fact that some chucks require right-handed turn of the wrench to "tighten" the chuck when clamping onto a tenon and others required a left-handed turn to "tighten" onto a tenon.
    Marty,

Thanks for the clarification. Doesn't sound like a big issue. At least for me.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

The G3 will be a good choice, as mentioned. Make sure you get a NOVA brand insert. A few aftermarket inserts have had issues with alignment. Just thought I'd add that since I didn't see anyone else mention it.

In my opinion, owning only Nova chucks, that they tighten "correctly" and everyone else is backward.

I recently received my Jet 1221 lathe with the Nova G3. The lathe is as advertised and IMHO, I am very, very satisfied with it. It's heavy enough not to need to be bolted down, as it doesn't move around when you have something mounted that isn't balanced... (not rounded).

My only disappointment was in the adapter for mounting the Nova G3 to the lathe. It didn't have the locking hex screw for reverse turning. I ended up taking it to my local machinist to tap it for one.
    Anything worth doing that requires cutting down a tree, deserves doing it right the first time.

I have a Jet 1220 and have both a Nova G3 and a One way Tallon. The difference in the jaws is the sereations in the Tallon jaws both OD and ID. From a safety stand point I always go with the Tallon for bowls 8" and above. One has to remember that I turn lots of dry oak because of where I live. Bores get into the oak trees and kill them. I hate to turn green wood because I have learned I can turn the dry wood to finish size. Just my thoughts, I've had bowls pop out of the recess on the G3 but never on the Tallon chuck.