Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Pole Barn 40X64X16

Looking good!

Done noon yesterday

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

That is really starting to look like a shop! Thanks for taking time to post all the updates. It is fun to follow along.

A buddy called and offered up his scissor lift for me to use this winter. Very happy about that. I had just spent some time this weekend getting tools setup again to make wall panels. Perfect timing on the lift.

That lift is almost an essential to fit out a shop like that, Mike...'glad you have it available!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

such an amazing shop! Please keep the progress pics coming.

I made a scissor lift support rolling table, with an additional X Y motion to attach my wall panels too. Allows me to span the area between the scissor lift and my wall, supporting the wall panels hands free, and allows me to attach my outlet boxes to the panels without having to man handle the panel at the same time. The sliding motion of the shop fox right angle jig and the use of the miter track allows me, once the table is close to the wall placement spot, to precisely position the wall. The holes in the jig allow me to just hold the wall in place with a screw.

I love scissor lifts! First panels to 16' . My sliding panel jig works awesome.

A couple guys asked about all tje screws. Here is a long response to that �� . Also explains the steps I follow.

The panels are made from the ply I bought and painted last year. They are 32x48x3/4 marine grade. I bought 1600 of them and sold a couple hundred and broke even even with the paint and gas to get them.

My rational on the screws is prob flawed but I do what I want and only make myself happy. The slats are not glued on. Each slat gets a top and bottom 1.25" kreg screw every 6" or so. The edges of the ply and at least one horizpntal line per panel get a 2.5" kreg screw that is sunk into a 2x6 that attaches it to wall. Lets say I hang a few dozen bessey or jorgies from a section or one of these 65 binder bins I have or whatever I want, on one slat, I dont want the slat coming down. For the cost of kreg screws in bulk and my time countersinking holes and driving the screws, its all I have in it doing it exactly the way I want. No i am not filling the screw holes. Its a shop wall to me and i dont mind the look. Every slat is removeable and replaceable if I want. Same with wall panels. All about potential purpose and function. Anyway I like it so its good for me.

I am countersink hole drilling with a cordless makita router on the festool boom dc and using a v-bit, and driving/ sinking the screws with a sioux/beaver tools pneumatic adjustable clutch screw gun. Super fast station to do that work. Kreg table and clamp keeps the panel supported. Holes for outlets are cut on the bench as well with the hole in the slat done on the cnc router table. Edge screws are pre drilled in partially. Then I carry to lift and set on deck. I climb up and place panel on my roller table and screw to right angle jig. The jig rolls the whole table to the wall once i am at the right height. Then that shop fox jig can then be slid forward and back, left and right to precisely place panel. It holds panel while I attach elec box tp back of wall with two #12 3/4" long screws through the adjustable box's bracket. I then adjust box so outlet is flush with the front of the 1.5" thick panel. I use the sliding jig and get the panel up perfect to wall and in place, then sink the edge screws. I remove the screw from the panel thats through the shop fox jig and I install an outlet cover. I move on to next panel.

Todays work.

Blog Entries
    The joint is jumpin' Mike. Looking great. The rewards of some solid effort and vision.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like the flag there at the top. Those wall plates look really crooked, is it the way the pic in skewed?

Wrapped the corner above 8'.

Lily helped out today after school. We got 6 more panels done today. We are all getting into the excitement of finally having walls.

Even Sassy tries to help out.

Looking good Mike. I know what you mean about the excitement of having interior walls. We are looking forward to putting ours up, sometime in the near future.
    Jeff

Progress!!! Are you going to paint after the installation is completed?

BTW, the one downside to getting the walls up is that your sound levels are going to increase a little with the harder surface. I wonder if putting up some more absorbent sound abatement panels in a few places might be a good idea in such a large, open building?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...