Thread: FWW Archive On To My iPad? Best Way???

FWW Archive On To My iPad? Best Way???

Hi,

I just bought the Fine Woodworking archive DVD and while I can put it on my desktop computer, I'm not really sure how to get it onto my iPad.

I guess I could email each PDF file to myself, and save it to iBooks on the iPad. But this is really cumbersome and time-consuming.

There may be an app that I can use to somehow drag-and-drop files from my PC to the iPad. I'm not sure which one would work for this though.

I can't be the first want to do this. So rather than struggling trying to figure out how to do it, and ending up not finding the best solution anyway, I thought I would ask here and see if anybody had any ideas.

If anybody can give me some pointers I'd really appreciate it. I know I could read the archive issues on my PC, but I don't find doing that as enjoyable or as useful as reading them on the iPad. Especially when I'm somewhere where my iPad is and my PC isn't!

I really hope there's simple answer to this question…

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Through iTunes maybe?

Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Dropbox. Get app on both CPU and iPAD. Its a free app with 2GB of free cloud space.

Open iTunes, open Windows Explorer tile the two applications. In Windows Explorer, browse to the drive that has the DVD and then to the folder with the PDF's select one or more PDF and drag and drop them to the "Books" folder under your iTunes library. Once synced, you can open and view the files in iBooks. Works fine I do it all the time. The page load as you flip from page to page might take a second or two depending on which iPad you have. The FWW archive files are optimized for image quality not size/speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roland View Post
    Open iTunes, open Windows Explorer tile the two applications. In Windows Explorer, browse to the drive that has the DVD and then to the folder with the PDF's select one or more PDF and drag and drop them to the "Books" folder under your iTunes library. Once synced, you can open and view the files in iBooks. Works fine I do it all the time. The page load as you flip from page to page might take a second or two depending on which iPad you have. The FWW archive files are optimized for image quality not size/speed.
    Other than I use a Mac, this works for me. Most anything that can be saved as a PDF can be copied to an iPad this way.

John

If you have a DropBox account, you can upload all of the PDF's into DropBox and access them on your iPad using the DropBox app.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Hi,

I just bought the Fine Woodworking archive DVD and while I can put it on my desktop computer, I'm not really sure how to get it onto my iPad.

I guess I could email each PDF file to myself, and save it to iBooks on the iPad. But this is really cumbersome and time-consuming.

There may be an app that I can use to somehow drag-and-drop files from my PC to the iPad. I'm not sure which one would work for this though.

I can't be the first want to do this. So rather than struggling trying to figure out how to do it, and ending up not finding the best solution anyway, I thought I would ask here and see if anybody had any ideas.

If anybody can give me some pointers I'd really appreciate it. I know I could read the archive issues on my PC, but I don't find doing that as enjoyable or as useful as reading them on the iPad. Especially when I'm somewhere where my iPad is and my PC isn't!

I really hope there's simple answer to this question…

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roland View Post
    Open iTunes, open Windows Explorer tile the two applications. In Windows Explorer, browse to the drive that has the DVD and then to the folder with the PDF's select one or more PDF and drag and drop them to the "Books" folder under your iTunes library. Once synced, you can open and view the files in iBooks...
    Thanks to all for the help.

I think I will try Michael's method first. Seems that it should accomplish what I want, that is to get the FWW issues to appear in iBooks.

I will keep Dropbox in my back pocket just in case.

Hopefully a success report will be coming shortly.

Thanks again!

Bill

Update: Success!

Well… Except that I was so excited about trying this I unintentionally used my iPhone4 rather than my iPadAir.

After I realized that the transfer was not immediate, and took a moment, maybe 10(?) seconds, before it occurred, things went fine. I was able to transfer both individual PDF files, and a block of 10 issues at one time, without problems.

Patience was the key. Initially I had some kind of issue and things did not seem to be working right. But after I shut down iTunes restarted it things seemed to work well. iTunes had been sitting on my computer open for a day or so without being used. Perhaps that it contributed to my initial issue.

If anyone else needs to do this, following Michael's method as described above, do alot time for the transfer between your PC and your Apple device to take place. When I did not see it happen immediately on the screen this through me off.

Thanks again to all for the help offered!

Bill

I use the FileBrowser app from Stratospherex on my iPad. This app allows browsing of videos, PDFs and other content on my Windows LAN directly on any iOS device. Using this app, I can read the FWW PDFs and access other reference documents and videos stored on my local network. The only negative of this approach is that there is no means of searching through all of the FWW issues to find specific articles or content via the app. By contrast, when installing the FWW DVD files on a PC, all content is indexed and conveniently searchable.