Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does a drill press need to be bolted down?

Like Joe,

Putting a cable to the ceiling has been on my list for quite a while. It would be wise insurance if we got a good 'roller' quake rather than the usual 'jolt' quake. My big screen TV on top of a cabinet is not that steady either.

Foolishly, it is on my 'round tuit' list.

Rick P

The only time I've seen a DP bolted to the floor is in an industrial setting.
    I've never done it at home.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

My bench top drill press sits on a quickly made table. It is not bolted down, and that has never been a problem. I actually like being able to shift it around a little.
    Paul

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I have a very top heavy PM 1150. It is the only tool I have that is bolted to the shop floor, but then I live in earthquake country and park our car right next to it when the garage/shop is in garage mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    The only time I've seen a DP bolted to the floor is in an industrial setting.
    I've never done it at home.
    ditto. They are stable in use, if drilling large work make sure to use out feed support, they are top heavy but not tipsy. Mine said to attach to plywood or bolt to the floor, bolting to floor inhibits mobility, and tripping over a plywood base is just annoying. Mine sits comfortably on its original base. If I lived in earthquake country I would move.....my dp on to a more secure base.

At work (industrial / business setting it's illegal for me to have a DP not bolted down . At home for personal or hobby use alone it's fine. (UK)

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Several years ago, one of my clients lost his 38 year old son (single man, model RR hobbyist, basement workshop) to a tipped drill press. I don't know the details, but do recall that it was thought the asphyxiation took 2 or 3 days, during which he was thought to have been conscious most of the time. My 13" benchtop machine is bolted to a stable mobile base, not sure what i'll do when i finally get a larger floor model. I'm certain it will be secured somehow, yet in my current shop setup would have to be at least a little mobile.

I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but if i must go slowly i'd prefer it to be an enjoyable time!!
    earl

In the UK drilling machines (drill presses) account for 55% of all industrial accidents, more than the next 5 machines added together. Mostly due to loose clothing and hair.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    I'm in SoCal so I wanted mine stable but, not bolted down. Built a base with compartments that I filled with concrete. Never had a problem and as you know, we shake a bit out here.

1 DP BASE MT.jpg2 DP Base Filling.jpg3 DP Metal Base.jpg5 DP Done.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have never bolted down a drill press. My current one is on a mobile base. I have never had a problem with one falling over.

Ditto for me.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Never...you remove your flexibility once its bolted.
    Jerry

I recently purchased a new 17" Jet. I had found Glenn Bradley's pics in another post. Did that very thing - 70# of
    sand plus the machine's cast iron base does wonders on a mobile base. You can move it around, but it's not tippy.

Jim

I had a cat jump from the top of my floor model drill press and it caused it to fall over - thankfully against something else so it didn't go all the way over. Woodworking-wise I've never used it with anything so large and offset that tipping it was possible.

My old Rockwell has the ability for one to bolt it down but it's never even teetered in the least. It's on a mobile base slightly larger than the steel base. It would be a monster to get up if it fell.

Rockwell 2.jpg
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 06-13-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    They are definitely top heavy, no doubt, some safety measures would be prudent if you are a worrier. Having said that, it took me 20 years to stabilize mine, and no it never tipped over. When I put Pergo on my shop floor, I bolted it to a 24" x 18" piece of 1-1/8" particle board, not so much for stability, although it did help, but so I could attach felt furniture pads to the bottom so I could slide it around. Much better than a mobile base with casters. Before, it always to seem to rock just a little bit on the concrete floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 06-14-2014 at 7:37 AM.
    NOW you tell me...