Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venting outside question

Venting outside question

For you guys that vent outside, what kind of vent dis you use? I'll have 10" pipe running from the output of the cyclone to the side of the garage and I was thinking about using a louvered vent but I've not found a good supplier or if that's the right solution. Any suggestions?
    Bob C

I installed what my supplier called a "vent cap". A vent pointing downwards, with a single flap. Has a spring to hold it closed when not in use.

A mighty wind.jpg

Pic shows it open - I had the cyclone on to see how loud it was outside.

This has a 12" hole, and I have the 8" duct from the cyclone running into it using a modified end cap as a transition:
    Offset 8 to 12.jpg

Looks like this on the inside of the building, prior to the transition from the cyclone being installed:
    Offset in place.jpg

Ok I wS just a little worried that a cap like that may be too restrictive. Did you use a 12" one rather than an 8" for this reason?
    Bob C

Just a heads up re venting outside, keep the vent a fair distance away from any open window or door as the exhaust will tend to get pulled back into the building. It is possible to turn the vent upwards and have the exhaust above the building in some instances and this also lessens to some degree the noise of the blower.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Mine is set up almost the same way. I got my vent at Lowes. It is plastic though, with a screen on the bottom to keep critters out. I took the screen off though. Mine is 8", same as the discharge on the cyclone. Works great.

I took the motor/blower off it's flood stand that also held the bags and mounted it on the wall above a barrel to capture the big stuff, then ran a 6" pvc tube through the wall and put a 45 degree elbow on the outside 2" away from the wall and pointing down of course.

That's it. Nothing fancy. It works great and the really big surprise is the noise reduction!!! It is sooo much quieter in the shop when it is running.
    Last edited by Dennis Nagle; 05-30-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Bob,

That was half the reason for using the 12" cap, but I'm not sure if it isn't more restrictive than what would be ideal. I may yet modify it to allow the flap to open farther.

The other half of the reason was to allow me to install some kind of muffler inside the vent cap if the noise ultimately bothered the neighbors.

Mark, how loud was the noise outside near your vent cap? Do you need to add the muffler? I'm planning the same setup with a Grizzly 3 HP cyclone - it also has a 8" discharge pipe. Thanks

Without the muffler, it is too loud for a residential neighborhood. Fortunately, I don't live in one.

I have one neighbor who would hear it - his house is about 250' from my shop with half an orchard between - and I need to ask him if it is bothersome. My wife hears it from inside our house 100' away. It isn't as loud as the tractors that roam the area.

I'll probably install some kind of muffler for my wife's sake, but I really should borrow a sound meter and get some readings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kornell View Post
    Without the muffler, it is too loud for a residential neighborhood. Fortunately, I don't live in one.

I have one neighbor who would hear it - his house is about 250' from my shop with half an orchard between - and I need to ask him if it is bothersome. My wife hears it from inside our house 100' away. It isn't as loud as the tractors that roam the area.

I'll probably install some kind of muffler for my wife's sake, but I really should borrow a sound meter and get some readings.
    What size is your DC system Mark??? I have a small 3hp one that vents out the side of my shop and it is really quiet. I go straight from the blower through the wall into a 45 elbow.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

It is a CVMax. 5 hp motor with a 16" impeller. ClearVue says it moves over 1900 cfm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kornell View Post
    It is a CVMax. 5 hp motor with a 16" impeller. ClearVue says it moves over 1900 cfm.
    Very noisy, 92db on an open exhaust.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I added a shed off of my woodshop that I call the "dust bin" to house my dust collector (2HP Oneida). I direct vent out the side of the dust bin. The direct vent goes through a louvered vent that is typically used for an attic gable vent. I got it at a box store and it comes with a bug / critter screen on the inside. Here are some pix:

Dust Bin (I built a transom window so it matches the front of the garage and copied the roof line of the building as well)

Side shot showing the vent:

DC and input from woodshop. I insulated the walls and covered them with T-111 to cut down on noise:

Input from shop. I cut a hole through the wall, lined it with pipe insulation, ran the duct through it and then sealed it up with expansion foam. I put cut up foam floor mats at the attachment points to cut down on vibration noise. I also have stacked floor mats under the DC legs to reduce vibration noise as well.

For the outlet, I just ran the duct right up to the gable vent and added ridged foam around it to seal it up tight.

Maybe not the prettiest install inside the shed, but it runs very quiet....especially inside my woodshop, plus I no longer have to deal with cleaning the filter. Win, win in my book. Standing out in the yard it sounds like someone running a vacuum cleaner in the house. Not much noise at all.

Took me several weekends to build the Dust Bin (shingling it probably took the most time) but completely worth it in my opinion and I'm glad I did it.

- darren
    Last edited by Darren Almeida; 06-02-2014 at 9:08 PM.

I took some sound measurements of my setup using my phone's sensor. Not sure how accurate it is, but here are the numbers:

Inside shop, no DC: 28 dB
    Inside shop, DC running: 66 dB

Outside shop, no DC: 38 dB
    Outside shop, DC running: 72 dB

The outside readings were taken approximately 6' from the vent cap. The inside readings were taken about 12' from the (closed) DC closet door.

I downloaded a sound meter app for my phone and took some measuements and got similar results.
    Inside the shop: DC off 25 dB, DC on 68 dB
    Outside next to vent: DC off 33 dB, DC on 78 dB directly in front of vent, 65 dB just 6' off to the side.

For comparison, I checked my shop vac, power hand drill, and miter saw and they were 91-93 dB from 6' away. 70 dB would be 1/100 of 90. So my dust collection is by far one of the quietest power tools in my shop, even from outside the shop.