Thread: How do I cut 1/8 and 1/4 inch dots for inlay?

How do I cut 1/8 and 1/4 inch dots for inlay?

I'm doing legs with inlays. I can make dowels with my dowel plate and fill holes with them, but I would prefer not to have end grain. I thought about buying the right sized tubing, sharpening it and hammering it into the material. But my material will be at least 1/8 inch thick. Seems like that might be a challenge with the tubing. Plus, getting the dots out of the tubing...

Nelson

Wood dots? Punch them out of thin stock with leatherworking punches. You can cut squares then use the punch to trim to round.

Steve Latta uses tubing, but files sawteeth on the end and cuts the wood instead of pounding it. You can probbaly find an article/video at FWW. He also showed the method in his videos and on The Woodright's shop. I tried punching once and it didn't work well for me.

Tony

Does it have to be wood? If not, you might be able to use the stuff that guys building guitar necks use to make the clay dots you see on the necks of guitars. You could make a template to make the inlay using the same bit you use to drill the hole and (in theory) it should yield an exact match. If you are using something around the same size and you can get away with round you might even be able to buy them from StewMac.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

They make a 1/4" plug cutter that will cut face grain plugs. I don't think I have ever seen one as small as 1/8"

Another way to do it is punch the dots from veneer, glue them to the ends of dowels, then push the dowels into the hole until the veneer face is flush. Seems easy to me. I've used white plastic hairbrush bristles for guitar side dots, just sticking them in the hole and trimming them flush.

I haven't used them yet, but I had a skin biopsy a few years ago and the punch tool they use would (I think) be perfect for veneer patching. Google punch biopsy tool. They come in different sizes.

In an inlay/marquetry class I took recently, we simply chucked a metal tube into a drill press and while spinning, shaved the inner diameter down with a knife or file. You can get it pretty sharp however we weren't punching out 1/8" material...we were doing ~1/42" veneer material. That is how I did the eye in the turtle inlay I made.

Chris Padilla's marquetry Turtle.jpg
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

jack
    English machines

Blog Entries
    Here are some ready made dot cutters. Cut your dot and then push if out from the back with a small dowel.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks guys. Some good ideas. I think I'll try to grind some teeth in some tubing and put it in the drill press. I want to be able to keep the dots pretty thick.

Nelson.