Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Table Saw overhead dust collection/ Grizzly - PSI experience

1. Thanks, will seriously look into this when I get caught up on my projects.

The guy who designed it wanted it to be a guard, and a dust shroud. And 3/8" should handle any impact created by the saw. I needed it primarily for dust collection, but wanted it durable enough to not break.

Brian, Thanks for posting that link

Rich, that is interesting information. I haven't ordered the polycarbonate yet. I wonder what the plastic guards are made of that come with saws originally? I would certainly be interested in hearing from anybody who has had degradation or failure of plastic guards.

Not all plastics are created equal.

Thinking about this for a quick moment, I realized that Sampson probably used 3/8" material because the design calls for assembling with screws, as opposed to bonding, so parts could be replaced as necessary.

Fred,

I don't want to diminish the value of PC. It is probably the most impact resistant of the plastics, certainly the most resistant of the clear thermoplastics. It is better than acrylic (eg. Plexiglas, PMMA) by about 30%, and typically double or triple most others. It is an oddity that a thickness of 1/8 inch resists impact better than something 2 or 3 times thicker, but in all thicknesses it is quite good.

You may have heard the "bullet proof" claims also. These are very expensive multi-layer laminates that aren't used in saw guards, but the PC portion of the laminate is a major contributor that absorbs energy via non-brittle deformation. Although PC is normally melt processed, it is one of the few thermoplastics that can also be formed by metal stamping. This is due to its ability to deform without cracking.

I have not seen the Sampson design, but you are probably correct that the added thickness improves a structure assembled with screws.

fwiw a number of years ago I built one using .220" thick acrylic (from a borg) held together with #4 sheet metal screws. From what I remember the pilot hole size was fairly critical but easy to determine with a little testing. A set of wire gauge drill bits would be helpful.
    Dust1.jpg

7. I have the PSI unit mounted overhead. When I first purchased it I intended on eventually changing the hood, it works so well I just leave it alone. I personally am not a fan of the shark guard in the standard configuration as I us a zero clearance insert %90 of the time at least. I have the splitter built into my insert. This allows me to use my sliding table on all my sheet goods for perfect crosscuts with no need for a setup change, very efficient for me. my .02

I also use my shop made zero clearance insert whenever possible, thus wanting an overhead collector/guard. I've committed to the Sampson design, and recently went through my steel supply (DW calls it the junk pile!!), and will design my boom based on available materials, but maintain the ability to raise/lower and pivot the unit. I'm looking at less than $100 outlay, so, I'm happy. I'll have plenty of time into it, but I like designing and building things.

Blog Entries
    I, too, use a ZCI, but it was originally modded to accept my stock blade guard. No additional mods necessary when I went to the SharkGuard. And, yes, the holes do help a bit with dust collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

I'm using the Exactor, and like it fine. It's easy to swing out of the way when you need to.

then there's always the ghetto version. effective and cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    then there's always the ghetto version. effective and cheap.
    Yo! Bro! Just kidding, I would love to see more detailed photos if you have any. Closer to the saw and the overhead boom arm. I like what you have. I know it is seven years later.

Lane